The Reef Tank banner
621 - 640 of 645 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
P.S. I thought that controllable powerheads off the APEX was a great idea, but I'm not thrilled with how it controls the Tunze ones at least. I find the programming difficult, and it's hard to imagine what you will get when you are done. I like the simple wave controller they have better.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Dangit!! Your right! There is a new one out. I didn't see a display module in the video though. That's interesting.

It looks like it adds some nice new features. I like the swinging mount, but I'm not too fond of the "Tonka Truck" type design they have gone to.

I love how you can monitor power use on each individual outlet!

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #625 ·
well the 120 is finished, I lost everything to a major flood that happened here on 8/13, house took on 4 ft of water, five in the garage, all the coral, fish died. The apex , external pump ruined . Lost my 2 Harley's and two vehicles.
We are living in Baton Rouge in a Hotel for now.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
well the 120 is finished, I lost everything to a major flood that happened here on 8/13, house took on 4 ft of water, five in the garage, all the coral, fish died. The apex , external pump ruined . Lost my 2 Harley's and two vehicles.
We are living in Baton Rouge in a Hotel for now.
Holy crap VWD!!! I'm so sorry!! That's terrible :( I hope insurance can get you back on your feet quickly. How is your house?

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #627 ·
House is bad, we lost all contents and have gutted the house already. Insurance will only cover the structure and not contents. We are ok and will survive over time. I imagine 6 months or more to rebuild.

I already replaced my truck And Shelbys car, need them for work. Bike I won't even think about replacing unto we get the house done, we will survive

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
House is bad, we lost all contents and have gutted the house already. Insurance will only cover the structure and not contents. We are ok and will survive over time. I imagine 6 months or more to rebuild.

I already replaced my truck And Shelbys car, need them for work. Bike I won't even think about replacing unto we get the house done, we will survive
That's aweful about the contents of your house! I wish insurance was better about things like this. I'm glad they are covering the house itself though. Are they putting you up in the hotel for now? Has work already started on the house?

Wishing you the best for getting back on your feet quickly!
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 ·
Funny thing is I work in the disaster recovery field and have for many years with the state. I know this will be a long draw out process. Things take a long time because of issue like flood zones, amount of damage done to the structure, how many times has the home flooded , what needs to be done to prevent this from happening again and is it cost effective. Flood insurance is a federal backed program, and they want to protect homes and not keep throwing money at the same property, which is makes sense.
So now we have to have inspections to determine the amount of damage,if it is over 50 percent of the value of the structure then the home may have to be elevated before the repairs can be made. I live in a flood zone and even so this is the first flood this will all come into play. We will not be in our home anytime soon if some of the rules are not changed.
Some 90% of the home in our town flooded if you didnt see the images on the new it would be hard to understand how big of an event this was. I spent two days and two night trapped on the I 12 overpass in my truck with 4 dogs, no way to get out.
We will survive and come out OK, Kristine and I are going to be alright it will just take time. It's just a set back on my retirement, I will be working longer then I expected.
I will try and post pictures to show how large scale this flood was, The media just did not pick up on it. not the way they should have IMO, but then again I was also out of the loop for the first 48 hours in my truck, LOL

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #632 ·
Yesterday I tried to see if I could save my lighting, which I maybe be able to, I need to test the proton and make sure it works, the kessile controls have issue I think, one working for sure. The lifereef skimmer is good, just not the pump.

will more then likely sell the skimmer.

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
Really sorry for the losses Vince, including retirement date, that's just wrong.

I'd put that skimmer in storage. It will last beyond your lifetime.
If you start another SW tank when you retire, you already have the investment.

The news even if well covered cannot portray much more than an inkling of an idea
of the vast devastation major flooding causes.

Hoping you guys get on your feet and back in your own house and bed soon.
Best of luck with the assessment.
Question, if the house is deemed to must be raised 4' or whatever…
who foots the bill?
Even if the govt subsidized the bill, might it be a very long time coming,
or I mean red tape as well as supply and demand on local construction companies that do that sort of thing?

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #634 ·
Hey Paul, we moved a camper to our driveway, home is a camp now, lol.

I know this will take time and it is what it is. We will be fine in the end.

No Harley's or tanks for now .

Not sure on what and who going to pay for lifting the house , not me if they say I have too. They want it elevated they going to have to provide the funds.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Wow, just caught up on all this. So sorry for the tough times and the losses. Working in the disaster field has obviously prepared you better than most for dealing with what's happened, but still... Wishing you all the best and hoping things only get better from here.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Will do, we have had the inspections, just moving in slow motion
A good friend of mine has a saying. "Moving at the speed of government". He usually uses it in a different context, but I'm afraid it's literally true here.

Do you have to live in a camper? Will they pay for a hotel or an apartment while you wait?

I must say that I'm really impressed with the way you are taking this, you seem much more centered about it than I would likely be.

Whiskey

621 - 640 of 645 Posts