The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for some suggestions on how many and of which size of the Eco tech VorTech pumps I should get for a 90 gallon mix reef tank. Anybody out there using them on a 48" 90 gallon that could offer advise or suggestions? What they got or wished they would have after making the purchase?

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
I have 2 mp40s on my 48" 75 gallon and am very pleased and since I don't have to run them full blast they are not very loud.
Two on a 75??

I initially bought an MP40 for my 65g and could run it no higher than 20-30%. After shutting that tank down, I placed the MP40 in my Dad's 125g (72") just to see how it would move that much water. At about 60% power it moves more water better than the 2 Koralia 3(850gph) and 1 Koralia 4(1200gph) he had in there.

So I'm confident a single MP40 would work just fine, but the dual master/slave setup would certainly allow you to run it on lower power and provide better overall circulation.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I "did" feel two 40's would be overkill. Their site and calculator says one 40 or 3 10's. I do feel if I get the wireless and have them work together the two 40's will give me what I need. Still tossing it out there for more suggestions never hurts. I have two Koralia 1450's in there with their controller. I get flow, but it seems it is just all or nothing with them. I have had issues with them getting stuck running backwards and have not noticed until crap builds up on that side of the tank.

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Yea, even with their 'fixes' I've had my Koralias constantly running backwards when on a controller. If you don't mind the whirring noise, I'm sure a single Mp40 running at 50+% would certainly move the water nicely.

I've tried running my MP40 at 100% on the 125g and with certain modes(ones that generate good wave patterns) it was sloshing water over the tank!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have one mp40 on my 90 mixed reef it's plenty and I don't run it maxed out it's at about 60 percent with good flow all over so I think one 40 would be plenty for you

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one mp40 on my 90 mixed reef it's plenty and I don't run it maxed out it's at about 60 percent with good flow all over so I think one 40 would be plenty for you
Is you 90 a corner overflow? If so where di you place the MP40?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yea its a corner over flow i placed the 40 on the opposite side of the return and have the return blowing towards the mp40

·
Registered
952 Posts
looking to make new purchase? I was also looking at those . I see videos with one mp 40 on 75-90 gallon tanks. Wave does look really cool and on my rimless i think that would be awesome but would one mp40 give me as much flow above ,below and around my rocks as multiply power heads?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Its more in the middle maybe a little more towards the top and its enough to get between all the rocks since you have the return pump too i have mine on the wave mode it pulls a good amount of water from the lower column so it gets evened out the wave on top isnt as good as it would be with two but the one is still plenty for flow plus you have the different modes. I think i get better flow with the mp40 than i do with multiple koralias i had hope this helps

·
Registered
952 Posts
i guess OHBA left but thanks, I have two 1400 koralias on wave maker now just alternating back and forth. would like to get that wave motion the MP40 does but dont want to loose circulation in tank. But from the videos it looks like they move the water pretty good just is it back and forth or is there really circulation there pulling from one side and pushing to the other.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i guess OHBA left but thanks, I have two 1400 koralias on wave maker now just alternating back and forth. would like to get that wave motion the MP40 does but dont want to loose circulation in tank. But from the videos it looks like they move the water pretty good just is it back and forth or is there really circulation there pulling from one side and pushing to the other.
Watching the FSU game. I have the same concerns. I see a lot of people dump the wave action and run them at a speed to just get the flow. I think I will start with one 40 and see how it moves water in my tank.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Its circulation it turns everything ove think of a bike tire spinning in place i love my mp40 and glad i got it theres alot you can do with them

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts

If you invest in the MP40WES series, you'll get the controller that provides a number of nifty modes. I like the nutrient export mode- It begins with a back/forth wave action to stir up detritus and then switches to a constant flow mode (so best to place on the side opposite of your overflow). This kicks up crud and then pushes it towards your overflow. Very cool to watch especially when placed on a tank that has a decent amount of settled detritus!(Hate to admit that was my tank prior:rolleyes:)

But while I was skeptical about it being able to 'clean' crud from all sides of the rocks, it blew me away! The back/forth swishing motion really does kick up detritus EVERYWHERE! If you notice the placement of mine in my avatar pic to the left, it was still moving a MASSIVE amount of water along the bottom of the tank- even behind the rock placement.

It's a very deceptive concept - one wouldn't think a simple back and forth movement would generate enough flow in two directions to really stir up the amount of detritus it does.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Two on a 75??

I initially bought an MP40 for my 65g and could run it no higher than 20-30%. After shutting that tank down, I placed the MP40 in my Dad's 125g (72") just to see how it would move that much water. At about 60% power it moves more water better than the 2 Koralia 3(850gph) and 1 Koralia 4(1200gph) he had in there.

So I'm confident a single MP40 would work just fine, but the dual master/slave setup would certainly allow you to run it on lower power and provide better overall circulation.

I have two one my 75.... You use them wireless so one is on while the other is off and vise versa.

A 65 is a 3 foot tank in that case that is kind of in between and it would be nice to have something in between a mp10 & a mp40. Mp 40 is a little much and a mp10 is not enough.

This is also my suggestion for the 90.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys were a big help. Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Anytime thats what we are all here for i think they should make an mp25 lol that way its just right for the 60 to 80 gallons. I have the wireless and i love it it took me time to bite the bullet with the price but well worth it you can def. Do more with them than the normal power heads plus i like that it doesnt put heat into your tank or run the risk of a short hope you get it and are happy with it you will be surprised with the flow it can create

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Placed my order yesterday. Should be here next week. Started with one 40. This thread helped me become confident that the vendors site and calculator was correct. Also bought the new controller and wireless adapter for my AI lights. More toys!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts