The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, im trying to do it right and have a decent nano reef going. my last one failed from lack of water movement. dead spots, algae, yada yada yada... so now im looking to get some good movement and don't want to skimp since it will only ever be this 20 gallon nano. but i'm looking at the VorTech pumps since its got the wave maker options to it. my question is, im looking at the VorTech MP10 which is for 2 1/2 to 50 gallon. or should i consider the VorTech MP20 which can do 20 to 70 gallon? since it has adjustable flow rates im thinking the MP10. but will i need more then one pump or will the one pump be ok?

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
well i would go with the smaller one, the mp10 can go plenty high gph wise, and you could always get another if you need to get the flow right, the mp20 would be great for it but you would have less control on lowering the flow
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I would use the MP10. You wont be dissapointed. Thats a TON of flow. One will be plenty. You will like it so much you will want two.......but one is enough. If your thinking about upgrading in the future.......get the 20.......the 20 can be upgraded to the 40 for pretty cheap considering the costs of these. If you have the cash....and you are thinking of upgrading......go mp20....but the mp10 will make you more than happy!

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Go with the 10 or the 40... the 20 is being/has been phased out. 2 Vortechs are better than one but with one you will be fine. Only one pump (of any kind) will normally have some small deadspots and two will reduce that. Personal choice in the end. I have one 40 on my 65g (supplemented by a K4) and I know a guy with two 40's on a 34g... it is really just up to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts