The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 477 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going about this a bit differently
This tank was set up in 10-05 and redone for the nano build off last year.

Tank is a 5.5 g AGA with custom stand and canopy, HOB filter for flow

I DON'T LIKE IT!! No matter what I do I'm not happy with how it turns out.

During this build off it's either going to be completely redone or taken down. It's not starting empty but will be emptied and redesigned for the contest.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I need to decide on flow the HOB filter is a pain I may try a tiny powerhead instead. I'm also thinking of moving it to the other side of the desk but that will make it further from the outlet

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you could try the mini jets 404 or 606
what kind of lights does it have?

cool I searched mini jet there is actually a mirco version

Micro-Jet aquarium pump (power head)
MC320
Brochure (pdf)
Photo (new window)
32-73 gph 1/2" ID hose fits outlet 6 Watts 2.25" X 2" X 1.5" $12.75 Micro-Jet aquarium pump (power head)
MC450
Brochure (pdf in new window)
Photo (New Window)
47-117 gph 1/2" ID hose fits outlet 7 Watts 2.25" X 2" X 1.5" $14.50

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very cool! Glad to see your thinking about keeping it :)

Are you going to hit me if I suggest a sump?

Whiskey

I thought about it but I don't see it happening - I'd worry about an HOB overflow and or drilling a flimsy 5g tank

There is way too much electronics in here to risk leaking

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
I've drilled a 5.5G with my dremel before! But using a standard hole saw I see your point. I definitally understand about the electronics too. Hmmm What about moving it across the room, building a stand, putting it on the stand slightly bigger than the tank so you get to use the baseplate, and having a 10G sump underneeth with a skimmer?

(duck)
Whiseky

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I do like that stand and canopy idea... I may have to copy it slightly for the softie tank I want to build in the office:D

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've drilled a 5.5G with my dremel before! But using a standard hole saw I see your point. I definitally understand about the electronics too. Hmmm What about moving it across the room, building a stand, putting it on the stand slightly bigger than the tank so you get to use the baseplate, and having a 10G sump underneeth with a skimmer?

(duck)
Whiseky

ummm you've seen this room there is no place to move it to unless I remove furniture

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do like that stand and canopy idea... I may have to copy it slightly for the softie tank I want to build in the office:D

It's pretty cool isn't it - he built the frame out of scrap 2 x 4's them attached the crown and base to it :)

·
Retired Wanderer
17,218 Posts
Can't wait to see what you do with it Kelli (and um Violet of course). :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Looking forward to the rebuild!

1 - 20 of 477 Posts