The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tang Lover
Joined
·
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how I feel about this

Have you all read about the NFL's new Scheduling flexibility?

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/tv/flexible

basically, in the later half of the season, the networks/league can CHANGE the schedule. (bump up some 1 o'clock game to the evening game)

I like the idea that the games I'm seeing near the end of the season are more of the games that matter...but that's what *I* like. Thinking about the players and the ticket holders...what a PIA that's gotta be. And while I'd like them to all play right in my backyard...that's not really feasible.

Although the cheerleaders should DEFINITELY try to work that out!

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,070 Posts
skeety said:
And while I'd like them to all play right in my backyard...that's not really feasible.

Although the cheerleaders should DEFINITELY try to work that out!

;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:


OK i see what you are saying Mike, That is just stupid how they can do that. People buy tickets and plan ahead of time for stuff like that. They shouldnt be allowed to do that!!!


Tim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
Yeah, I'm not too happy about that either, but the NFL is all about making money. I'm not a season ticket holder and the two closest teams to me are the Panthers and the Falcons. I happen to be a die hard Steelers fand and as luck would have it, they are playing both teams this season, so here I go onto Ticketmaster the "minute" that tickets go on sale to the public and, of course, sold out within the first minute :doh: . Now, the only place you can get tickets is through resalers and that's about $200 for nosebleed seats. Face value for the tickets? Maybe $50 :angry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
I knew some guys in Chicago that would go to games and it was an all day party for them. They would start the day drinking and eating before game time, I think the only difference will be that they may be too drunk to enjoy the game if it gets mover up. But I can see those who have other things to do in thei day how inconviniente this may be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,063 Posts
I use to watch the NFL. I hate it now there is no team consistancy they guys that played for the bills noe play for miami what the hell is that and what happen to the good old fashoin rivalry. dont even get me started the NFL is just a big disapointment to me.
 

·
Saltwater Mom
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
I used to hate football unless I was watching a live game. Now I watch with the hubby and always root for the opposite team no matter who it is just to get a rise out of him, unless its Atlanta I love the falcons and so does he. Sucks that they can change the game time tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
fchidsey said:
I use to watch the NFL. I hate it now there is no team consistancy they guys that played for the bills noe play for miami what the hell is that and what happen to the good old fashoin rivalry. dont even get me started the NFL is just a big disapointment to me.
IMO the fact that players change teams does not matter much, like Joe Montana will always be remembered as a 49er, Mascus Allen as a Raider, Walter Payton will always be a Bear (he was), Jim McMahon is remembered as a Bear in Chicago and very liked as well, so what if he went to Philly and to San Diego. I see what you are saying but I still love it.
There is riveries like Chicago and Green Bay and it does not matter who the players are. I cannot wait for the season to start.
:blob:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,063 Posts
I don't know maybe its beacause I am a transplant now living in florida. I just can't get into it. I'll put it this way I won't go out of my way to watch a game.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,599 Posts
I think it makes for better TV games and they won't know till later in the season what teams are going to be good and in this way we will be able to view the better games on TV. It's all about rating and TV. Thats what I think.

now I will also add That I will only look at a game if I am doing nothing else. I won't plan a sunday or monday night to watch a game. i have other things I like to do more. About the only time I watch is during the play offs and super bowl. I like basketball better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,603 Posts
yeah i ahad read abotu that and listened to what was going to happpen when they started talking about it close to the end of last season... nice to know .. that if not enough tickets are sold for a game and it is on tv they will cut it out and place a differnt game on..they had said at one time you might be able to see the games you will now miss as a re run!
man can you imagine setting the VCR or tevo or whatever to record the game and get home to sit down and watch the fresh prinze re runs instead?!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,603 Posts
Well the Bucs are always blacked out here and I cant see them on tv so I dont care what they do now im already mad.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
It's good and it's bad. It's good for those fans who don't want to watch a meaningless game on monday night or prime time. It's bad for those fans who were looking forward to seeing their team play. Not everyone gets to watch their favorite team play on TV all that often due to blackouts, so it would bum me out if I had marked my calender to watch them play and then have it switched to teams I don't care about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
fchidsey said:
I don't know maybe its beacause I am a transplant now living in florida. I just can't get into it. I'll put it this way I won't go out of my way to watch a game.
Yea, I am the same way, back in the midwest it was so easy to be in to the Bears for me, even if they were doing poorly. But this past season was my first in Az and everyone here seems to be a Chargers fan, not even a Cardinals fans, but o well. I just cannot get in to games as I did back then.
:cry:
I know I would be upset if I was planning to go to a MNG and it was changed to Sunday to accomodate a better game on MNG.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,599 Posts
hng said:
It's good and it's bad. It's good for those fans who don't want to watch a meaningless game on monday night or prime time. It's bad for those fans who were looking forward to seeing their team play. Not everyone gets to watch their favorite team play on TV all that often due to blackouts, so it would bum me out if I had marked my calender to watch them play and then have it switched to teams I don't care about.

I think this said it all.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
682 Posts
Big Football fan here….. When I lived in <ST1:pMiami</ST1:p is was a fan because of Marino. I moved to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
FLA</st1:State> in the wonderful 80’s I was a huge <st1:City w:st=" /><st1:City w:st="on">Boston</st1:City> area and was still a <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pMiami</ST1:p</st1:City> fan until Marino left. Then I became the hometown fan but at the time the Patriots were always blacked out locally because they were terrible.


But now they are a very good squad and that they are once again favored to make it to the end, I don’t think I need to worry about blackouts. Pats tickets face value for ok (not good) seats are around 100 bucks and there is a 7 year wait (legally) to get tickets. So TV games are important to us up here. Crazy you can’t take a family to any sporting event in NE.

But with the national fan base and Indy vs. NE and <ST1:p<st1:City w:st="on">Pittsburg</st1:City></ST1:place vs. NE type of rivals still out there I think the Pats will be on a few of those new Sunday Nights games so good for us I guess. It can be a great idea but they need to be careful to include everyone. The time changes will have a 2 week notice so that should be enough for the folks going to the games to make arrangements. But like baseball the big teams and the big rivals will get the air time since it pulls in so much $$$$. Kinda like a Red Sox vs. Yankees game…..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,371 Posts
All changes have to be made with about a week of warning, which is fair. And Id rather watch the Eagles Vs. Redskins, to see who wins the NFC East in one of the later weeks, rather than the Raiders Vs. 49ers, to see who is the worst team in CA! I enjoy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,371 Posts
And FYI Patriots fan... The Dolphins are winning the AFC East this year. Not the pats and their mediocre at best Defensive Backfield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
skeety said:
Not sure how I feel about this

Have you all read about the NFL's new Scheduling flexibility?

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/tv/flexible

basically, in the later half of the season, the networks/league can CHANGE the schedule. (bump up some 1 o'clock game to the evening game)

I like the idea that the games I'm seeing near the end of the season are more of the games that matter...but that's what *I* like. Thinking about the players and the ticket holders...what a PIA that's gotta be. And while I'd like them to all play right in my backyard...that's not really feasible.

Although the cheerleaders should DEFINITELY try to work that out!

;)
Ok first of all to clear one thing up, this will only effect Sunday games. They will not move a Sunday day game to Monday night. They will just move games from Sunday at 1 or 4:15 to 8.

And this is not that much different than what they have always done. They have always moved 1pm games to 4:15 and vice versa, but not every week. The big difference is that at the end of the season the 8pm game will remain TBD until several weeks before those last games and they will then schedule games with post season implications.

So Skeety I dont think you will have to worry about it, Redskin games late in the season are not likely to have playoff implications. ;)

But seriously, I think that this was something that NBC insisted on so they dont get any bad games late in the season, that is what has plagued MNF for so many years.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top