The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I vaccume my Live Sand? I know I can scoop it up and run it with clean SW through a fine mesh or nylon but in the mean time I will stir up what I am trying to vaccume.

Do you think I caould take a rubberband, an old set of nylons and place that over my Python and vaccume that way?

How do people do this?

G

·
They have a sand vac. You may want to check with the board. I use to vac my sand when I first started my tank but the majority of reefers I think don't disturb the sand. If you get clean up crew and sand sifter you shouldnt have to clean your sand. Check on it

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
hankstanks said:
How can I vaccume my Live Sand? I know I can scoop it up and run it with clean SW through a fine mesh or nylon but in the mean time I will stir up what I am trying to vaccume.

Do you think I caould take a rubberband, an old set of nylons and place that over my Python and vaccume that way?

How do people do this?
Good morning hank,

I use a python type device to vacuum sand. You can adjust the syphon force at the faucet where it will seperate the detritus from the sand. Also, if you pick up on the vac end a bit then this will help to seperate the 2.

If you get clean up crew and sand sifter you shouldnt have to clean your sand.

If hank is trying to remove detritus from his system then this will not work. All clean up crews and sand sifters produce detritus, they won't eliminate it.
Steve

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My concern with the sand.

Every time I stir up the sand (for whatever reason) a huge plum of cloudy merky water rises up. My tank is not over stocked but I have also never pulled the detritus from the sand either.

2 years worth of build up. Lots of hermits etc. but it is really just a nitrate factory if you ask me..?

That is why I wanted to vaccume it. H20 changes 2 times weekly for a month kept the Nitrates the same at 15ppm. In addition to every other day feeding and adding a sand sifter star.

·
Registered
67 Posts
vacuum sand

Great question. I just occasionally stir things up, similar to the way a hurricane & rough waves hammer a reef. Let the overflow get what it can and the rest settle back down. Just watch your clean up crews get on that freshly exposed detritus. Awesome site!

M

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
2 years worth of build up. Lots of hermits etc. but it is really just a nitrate factory if you ask me..?
Hank, it's turned into a phosphate factory.

Every time I stir up the sand (for whatever reason) a huge plum of cloudy merky water rises up. My tank is not over stocked but I have also never pulled the detritus from the sand either.
If it's allowed to clog up with particulate detritus, you're not going to get the percolation you need for it to effectively process the nitrate cycle. Your layers will get too thin and too close to the surface.
It's not that it's not capable of processing through to nitrates, it's just doing it a lot slower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.