The Reef Tank banner

vacation tips

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  FutureDoc 
#1 ·
We are leaving Sunday and will be gone for a week. Our daughter and son-in-law will be staying at our house while we are gone to watch after the animals. Do y'all have any tips on stuff I can to minimize problems that can go wrong with the tank while we are away?

#8 ·
Just tell them that overfeeding can kill everything and you will hold them personally responsible if anything goes wrong... aka scare them... should at least work on the son-in-law :lol: I like the pre-measure medicine boxes, just make sure you hide the rest of the food in case they look for if they think "the fish look hungry"

Better yet, tell them not to touch the tank and have a reefer do the feeding and top-off... I just don't trust anyone outside the hobby... and no HOB feeders, nearly wiped out my tank in '09.

#13 ·
Basically it works off of vacuum, see the ATO devices on Solana tanks...

Basically it is an inverted bottle with a tube sticking out of the lid. You submerge the tube and when the water level drops it allows air to go into the bottle, which allows water to flow. As the water level rises it covers the tube again and doesnt allow air into the bottle (think finger over the straw trick that I know you did as a kid..LOL) and therefore the water doesnt flow out...

#17 ·
Don't unplug the skimmer... it is a safety net against overfeeding. Keep things working as normal. If the skimmer has a drain, then you can hook it up to a larger container, if not, just have those who feed change it or run it drier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.