The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im leaving in the morning for Myrtle Beach SC. I'll be gone for 8 full days. My mom is going to stop by my house and feed the tanks and keep them topped off. Is there anything I should do as a precaution before i leave? I'm doing a water change on them right now. Anything else??

·
Registered
101 Posts
One time we went out of town and the tank flooded spraying on to the power strip which caght on fire a little, the only thing that saved our tank was that we just happened to have the heater and power heads plugged into a completly different outlet, you never know! Thats my only suggestion

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestion, but i dont have a sump on any of the tanks, so nothing could really spray anywhere other than the hob skimmer, but i have the power strips mounted away from all that stuff. Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
If you can Have the top off water clearly labled and for feeding fix all the portions and label them with when to feed. When we were on vacation I had it down to a clip with nori that said put this in Friday ! (non- reefers were watching the tanks) and little baggies in the freezer - Thaw and feed wed- ect

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok i have all that stuff covered, so i guess im off to a worry free Vacation.... :dance: yeah right...

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I'm also leaving in a couple weeks, but only for a couple days. Even still! The idea of leaving the tanks in the care of mortals, scares me!:(

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
tanks are on timers right? That's the only other thing that would need to be taken care of.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
find someone in a lfs that can run out in an emergency or she can take live stock too JUST INCASE!! i did that and it made my trip much better, just incase something happened when mom calls with that " something is wrong" you can just tell her to call blah blah blah, and its all ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts