The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first one in to give it a try. The color of the actual bulb looks similar to that of the VHO model. If anything it is a little bit brighter. The projection it gives off also is similar, but I want to burn in the bulb before I make any exact comparisons.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Jake, are your running on spec ballast or the icecap ? Sounds like my bulbs came in today so I will hopefully get to play soon myself.

I'm planning to use the Icecap dynamic ballasts as to not overdrive ( as this is for a LPS/softy only tank ) but also have plenty of spare 660/430s lying around to play with if I want...

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Got mine up and running over the weekend on a 75g tank. 3 bulbs, 2 Actinic/white and 1 super actinic. My show tank 125g has 3 Actinic/white and 2 SuperActinics VHOs on it. So while the ratio isn't exactly the same 66/33 vs. 60/40 it's pretty close.

I think the eyes play a little tricks on you becuase of the brightness differences from the VHO to T5s but overall I think the tanks do look very comparable as far a color and aethetics go.

Time will tell just how well LPS do with the T5s as my previous attempt, many LPS didn't have as nice of color ( lighter and more faded colors ), I'm hoping that since the same color spectrum and less bulbs that I will get better results than with the ATI brand bulbs that were available.

I'm not going to get my hopes up until I see these run for 6 months or so but as for color I am going to like them.

When I picked them up a Fritz's place we did do some comparable light readings with brand new UV bulbs vs. the ATI comparable bulbs. If you go by PAR readings alone though the ATI ones beat out the UV by about 20% or so. For me, being a LPS dominate tank, intensity and/or brightness is not important just wanting comparable results with the corals as I have with the VHOS, with some electrical and bulb replacement savings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts