The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Uv sterilizer for my reef tank but unplugged it after talking to somebody in the chat room last night. Give me your 2 cents, please.

Thanks
Travis Jeffrey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
645 Posts
I wouldn't use it unless you have parasitic problems or bad algae blooms(even then it may not be justified). UV kills the good with the bad. If it's for parasitic reasons, run in two week intervals. Use snails fish etc to control the algae.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Gotta side with Toadfish on this one if you want my opinion on this subject simply due to the fact that you will kill benefical bacteria as well as the bad ones. I dont run one in my tanks but then again, I have never had a problem with parasites or algae. But understand this is just my opinion......what works for me might not work for you or anyone else for that matter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,603 Posts
i would think if it is built in to the tank loop ( filtration) i would leave it alone .. maybe turn off the uv light . if you leave it there then if you ever have a problem you could just turn the light back on. killing all the bacteria is good and bad! if you have a para problem then it is worth the risk or there is any.

just my dimes worth.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,467 Posts
Our tanks have 100's of times more bacteria that natural sea water. This is not a good thing. There's no way even a giant UV could lower bacteria levels far enough to be damaging, IMO.

I use UV, and I highly recommend them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright thanks greg, I guess time to wipe the dust off it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i hear it is good for keeping water clear. How I dont know. Dont think my fish really need it, just got one royal gramma and 2 clarkii clown's and they have been through hell with the making of my reef, dont think they will get ICK, but who knows? I guess my question to you is, what do YOU use it for?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,218 Posts
My main reason is water quality and keeping things more in line with actual reef water. Organics, bacteria get really skewed in a closed system and I keep only SPS types.

A side benefit, is that I don't have to quarantine and treat for parasites, bacterial, fungal, etc infections. Anything transferable through the water column.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,408 Posts
BTW: Jerel's UV dims the street lights on his block,,,,;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
Spanky said:
My main reason is water quality and keeping things more in line with actual reef water. Organics, bacteria get really skewed in a closed system and I keep only SPS types.

A side benefit, is that I don't have to quarantine and treat for parasites, bacterial, fungal, etc infections. Anything transferable through the water column.
And don't forget that phosphate:D (I promised myself I wouldn't mention that again after you chewed me out the last time:p ).
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
Over on RC when I made the comment that you had said UV would help break down phosphate;) .

No rockets yet, just a focus and determination to leave the madning crowds. BTW, no one honked at me the whole way out of Florida on the way back:dance: .
Thanks again for the hospitatality.
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UV will get rid of phosphate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,113 Posts
Will it? I'm interested now! :funny:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Spanky!!! You have some splainin to do. :confused:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top