The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at setting up a coral prop/QT tank. I’ve got a 30 breeder that will be perfect. I’ve also got a supercharged CPR bak pak, and a bunch of old power heads. I just need to find a used light. I may just put one fish in it, or none. It will be barebottom like the display. I am really stuck between plumbing this into my display(easier) or setting it up stand alone(another tank to baby sit).I run a large UV(114w) on my return so I am thinking red bugs/and AEFW would have a very hard time making it into the display. To recap: The 30 prop/QT will drain into the common sump and it any pests make it there they hopefully won’t be able to get past the UV and make it to the main display. I can always put some valves in place in case the qt tank needs to be treated. So the question is do you think the UV will protect the display from coral STD’s? <O:p</O:p

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
I really don't think it will kill AEFWs and Red bugs. My understanding is that UV's work better on the parasite level. Not saying it couldn't zap them but it would probally require a rather long contact time in order to do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts