The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old uv sterilizer just sitting around because I need a new pump for it. I was wondering what would be best. It has a max flow rating of 700 gph, but should I shoot for a little less than that to increase contact time with the burning rays of the uv light?? Or can I just get a 700 gph pump. The pump will have a little head loss due to 90 degree turns, so overall flow will be a little less that 700, but I am thinking the more contact time the water has within the chamber the better. yeah or nay??

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
slower is definately better. it is all about the dwell time. algae is easily killed by the UV, so this is how most of the UV are rated. how much water can be pump through it and still kill algae.:D it is a lot harder to kill parasites. i can not remember the dwell time needed to kill parasites. it is significantly longer than it is for algae. i can not remember what it is right now.:( must be getting tired.

G~

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an Aqua Ultraviolet uv sterilizer, I think it is 15 watts. I had it for a 75 gallon, may not make much difference on a 110, and my total water volume is probably around 150 gallons, but it might do a little?? it uses a Vicor hard quartz glass 4 pin lamp , not sure if it is NO or not?? Before the pump went I had a 350 gph on it, and had that throttled back so I could use it as a feed line for a refugium, so it was probably flowing through it at about 150 gph, not very fast at all, maybe I should just stick with the same type pump again. It was a Mag 3 and lasted for many years, I really just need to get off my butt and get a new impeller, because I think that is all that is wrong with it, just figured if I was going to spend a little money, might as well get a new pump to if I needed it!:rolleyes:

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, that wasn't my original intention when I first set it up, but after reading about the photodegradation of ortho-phosphates and such, I am kinda glad I set it up that way.;) So I'll just get me a new impeller, and get a new bulb for the uv since I can't just buy one thing at a time!:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts