Thank you for being brave and speaking up.I took my UV off about a year ago. I realized proper care of your fish eliminated the feed for one.
Now that I am fighting an Algae problem someone recommended putting it back on.
Before I do that though I am going to go barebottom.
I had a 25w EmperorAquatics hooked up on my 90 for the first 3 months but took it off the other month. My tank is doing great without it disease and algae-wise. I believe in them but I personally did not need it. It's a nice gadjet to help you sleep nights, but like you said, "proper care of your fish eliminated the feed for one"
it depends on which algae you are trying to control. in ponds it is suspended algae that is the problem. this is what a UV clearifier will do quite well since the algae is in the water column and able to go through the UV sterilizer.
in our SW systems most of the algae problems we have are not suspended algae. a UV sterilizer if not setup properly could make an even bigger algae problem. the phytoplankton that makes it into the UV sterilizer would be killed off releasing the phosphates that they contained back into the water column. if not removed by the skimmer they could settle down on the substrate causing phosphate buildups in the tank.
i do not have one yet. do plan on getting one though and plumbing right before the skimmer inlet in order for the skimmer to remove as much of the dead algae as possible.
Excellent explanation, Geoff! Yes, UVs are touchy subjects, I had one, got rid of it, didn't help and caused more harm. Unless the stuff you want to get rid of is freely floating in the water, the UV will not touch it....