The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any guesses on this one? The bottom of its foot is completely flat. Also in the pick, its shell is kind of shaped like an egg (and nearly flat) and only takes up about half of its foot (as you can most likely see). The thing HALLS ARSE!!!!! That is about all I know. It will eat every kind of algae I have ever seen which indicates to me that it is herbivoris.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i think they are called stomatella (sp?)

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats what I thought. Stomatella Varia or Cap Snail. Wasnt sure though. Either way it is a little over an inch. Its just a LAWNMOWER though. Literally, you would think fast for snail is may like you can follow it with your finger down the glass at a slower rate, quick for this guy is - 'touch me with something and I am back in the rockwork inside of 3 seconds'. It eats that quick also

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the rock. I pulled one out when I first saw them. Then I regret doing it because this is probably the quickest microalgae grazer I have seen in my entire life. Just ridiculously quick. I think there might be two left in there because I keep seeing them and one if of different size then the other. I would say they are herbivores because they seem to not effect anything in my aquarium, just eat stuff on the glass and rocks. Its gone now. Was gone about 15 seconds after I took the pic. I think the flash freaked him out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your Algae grazer

Hi Jonnywater (cool name...),

Did you ever confirm the species of your super grazer?
I ask because my current project is to grow up marine micro-algae on a large scale, but we need something to keep the various special (lens-like) surfaces in the tank, clean. Your USK seems like the perfect candidate.

Thanks!

Steve, in the Netherlands

Yeah thats what I thought. Stomatella Varia or Cap Snail. Wasnt sure though. Either way it is a little over an inch. Its just a LAWNMOWER though. Literally, you would think fast for snail is may like you can follow it with your finger down the glass at a slower rate, quick for this guy is - 'touch me with something and I am back in the rockwork inside of 3 seconds'. It eats that quick also

1 - 7 of 7 Posts