The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 sticks of the two part epoxy putty... (at least i think i have two, one is buried somewhere in my gear) i plan to mess with rearranging the tank today. i have read that this stuff can make skimmers go bonkers, so i have it shut off... but since the epoxy obviously gives off ":stuff", how much is safe to use at one time? i don't have any idea how much i might need to use, i may end up using very little, but just in case i want to make sure it won't poison anything if i go overboard.

i don't have the time, inclination or work space to dry the rocks and cure the adhesive outside the tank. my tank isn't tall enough to do the acrylic rod trick IMO. besides, i'll probably end up just doing a rock wall due to the angle of light i have, i'm hoping not, but....

also... does that stuff attach solidly to glass underwater?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I epoxied most of my 10 pieces of rock to one another WHILE livestock was in my 29 cube. Not a single problem for me, It did well for being underwater and all, maybe let it cure just a bit before going in the water because it tends to get a bit soft at first.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
used the stuff all of the time for mounting corals. the skimmer goes bonkers for a few hours so either turn it way down or turn it off. no harm has come to any of my critters for using it. i have used an entire stick before in my system without any problems. it was a 125 gallon system.

G~

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uggh, that stuff smells like a bad perm!

i have only ever used liquid types and the self mixing nozzles... haha!

i found, i am not very good at using it at all... i cannot get it to cooperate. i will have to work on using it in better ways.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
:agree: What you actually need to do is use way more than you think you need and then press the 2 pieces of rock together and leave them. Do not worry if you can see the putty as it will eventually become covered in corraline or corals anyway.

It does stink like you said, and if you play with it long enough it will actually get a little warm as well.

·
just a guy with a reef...
354 Posts
Heres a little tip for mounting frags that I was given a while back that really helped me with the epoxy putty. Press the blob of epoxy onto the rockwork, then press the other object (rock, frag plug, etc) into the blob. Let the blob harden. Remove blob and other object and apply gel super glue to both sides of the (now hardened) blob. Place blob back onto rock, and other object back onto blob. Allow super glue to set. Rinse and repeat :D

This basically creates a custom mount for the frag. You can also get away with using less of the epoxy because its not really holding anything. The super glue does the holding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts