The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wouldn't do a tank without one. The biggest benefit is the chemical bond breaking effects. Keeps all the nasty's (P inparticular) reactive for easy bacteria and phyto uptake, which in turn, are readily skimmed.

To me the whole parasite killing thing is just a nice side effect. It's the chemical bond breaking which is it's best benefit in my opinion.

UV is a great alternative to running carbon, you get clarity, detoxification of coral 'warfare' molecules, without the inherent downsides of running carbon.

I think of UV as a way to make your system run more efficiently. A good skimmer and UV are the power combo.

Layton

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Not really needed on a reeftank but great for fish fowler tanks you get much more out of a good protein skimmer
than any UV sterilizer can produce.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I read a thread about 200 pages a while back and after reading and seeing the results and before/after pics, I will not set another tank up without one... There were definately pros and cons, but concerning my setups and goals, it is a definate plus...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not really needed on a reeftank but great for fish fowler tanks you get much more out of a good protein skimmer
than any UV sterilizer can produce.
It has great benefits on a reef tank... I'd say more than a fowlr tank.

A good UV can make a good skimmer pull stuff out at a faster rate. Good UV combined with a good skimmer is the ultimate P removal tag team.

You obviously need a skimmer in conjunction with UV. UV in of itself doesn't remove anything, just changes it so it can be quickly taken up by bacteria and phyto which are then skimmed out of the tank.

Not to mention that it neutralises those growth stunting coral warfare chemicals.

Layton

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I kindly disagree with you a good skimmer and water changes is all you need,uvs are to help with ich and the such especially in fowlers ozone would be better than a uv if you wanted it in a reef.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's just it. There is a LOT more to UV than just parasite killing / control.

It's the other half of the story which often people don't hear or know about... the chemical bond breaking effects, which are by far the most interesting, and to me the best benefit of using UV. UV and parasite control isn't of any interest to me really. It's definitely not the reason why I use it.

Sure a skimmer and waterchanges maybe all you need. But if you add a UV to that, the same skimmer may pull out more crap faster, as a result of UV keeping P reactive.

That's why I said it's a good way to make your system run more efficiently. By adding UV, you can often get better performance out of your existing skimmer, along with a few other benefits.

Layton

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
And I still disagree it will not do any better than a wc
ozone will break stuff down much faster uvs kill the good with the bad also remember,I will not kill the good stuff in my reef ich can usual heal itself in a well established reef its only in fo tank where I run and need uvs never in my reef,it can destroy beneficial microscopic organisms that some reef tank inhabitants may depend on as a food source

·
Registered
90 Posts
And I still disagree it will not do any better than a wc
ozone will break stuff down much faster uvs kill the good with the bad also remember,I will not kill the good stuff in my reef ich can usual heal itself in a well established reef its only in fo tank where I run and need uvs never in my reef,it can destroy beneficial microscopic organisms that some reef tank inhabitants may depend on as a food source
Can you elaborate on what "good stuff" UV kills?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can you elaborate on what "good stuff" UV kills?
It's the same "good stuff" that the skimmer removes anyway ;)

An interesting question re the killing vital food sources argument is, do these corals discriminate between live zooplankton, and UV maimed zooplankton?

I came across a paper once which looked at the effect of UV on bacterial populations in both the water column, but more interestingly, those associated with rock and sediments.

What they found was that total bacteria populations actually increased when using UV. While there was a decrease in water borne bacteria. The denitrifying sediment and rock resident populations increased significantly.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Skimmer only removes what gets to it,it takes alot of flow to keep stuff suspended and make its way into the skimmer,but a uv if properly maintained will kill everytthing that goes through it pods ,good bacteria,planktonic larvae whatever,just remember that this subject is still highly debated and everyone has there own opinion if they like it or not.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I wouldn't do a tank without one. The biggest benefit is the chemical bond breaking effects. Keeps all the nasty's (P inparticular) reactive for easy bacteria and phyto uptake, which in turn, are readily skimmed.

To me the whole parasite killing thing is just a nice side effect. It's the chemical bond breaking which is it's best benefit in my opinion.

UV is a great alternative to running carbon, you get clarity, detoxification of coral 'warfare' molecules, without the inherent downsides of running carbon.

I think of UV as a way to make your system run more efficiently. A good skimmer and UV are the power combo.

Layton
yea what he said

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not bashing anyones opinion, just trying to get the rational behind those opinions.

So the question is, once the UV has "killed" (use that term loosely) this stuff, does it become useless to these corals you're wanting to feed on it?

Do these corals discriminate between UV zapped food, and non UV zapped food?

After all, the UV doesn't make stuff disappear, it just changes it.

Layton

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
i can see casey's point, think of it this way, you use UV to free the P for bacteria intake... then the bacteria gets killed by the UV and the P is right back in your system... personally, i will have a UV unit on mine, but i can see where casey is coming from.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I agree with casey that running ozone on a reef tank would be better than a uv.

Uvs kill phytoplankton, pods, and others means of coral nutrition in the reef tank. Also, the uv must me used on the water feed to the skimmer or it is completley useless.

I dropped my uv unit while I was moving my established tank and the tank is doing fine without one. Nothing different then when I was running the uv.

IMO, a waster of money. water changes and wet skimming using a good skimmer on your tank will be just as good

If you are lazy and dont want to clean and change the water, consider a uv or ozone, but it is uneeded IMO in most cases.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I'm not bashing anyones opinion, just trying to get the rational behind those opinions.

So the question is, once the UV has "killed" (use that term loosely) this stuff, does it become useless to these corals you're wanting to feed on it?

Do these corals discriminate between UV zapped food, and non UV zapped food?

After all, the UV doesn't make stuff disappear, it just changes it.

A uv alteres the genetic structure and sometimes kills living cells. Many public aquariums advise strongly agaist UV's because they depleat a system of natural food sources such as pods or phytoplankton. The food source can no longer reproduce, which eventually leads to the elimination of the population.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Its kinda like marine snow when they are killed utterly usless stuff much better to feed live instead of dead
according to the polls I have seen around 80 percent of reefers run without uv and 80 percent or around there run them on fowlers RC has some good threads and polls on it just have to search for them which is hard to do over there.:agree:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts