The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use ABS drainpipe in a reef setup? I went to Lowe's and HD today to check out parts for the skimmer I plan on building, but can't find anything over 2" in PVC... only in ABS.
The only parts in ABS would be the skimmer body, a few endcaps and the reducer at the top of the skimmer that hooks into the skimmate cup.

Yay or nay, I guess that's all I need to know. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
ABS In Reef

I believe that only PVC is potable or in other words safe to use for drinking water. If I remember right ABS is only made for drain pipe. So it has the potential of leaching chemicals in the pipe into the water. Long story short NAY.

HTH

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply chad.
What you're saying makes sense, but I've found several different sites where people are using ABS plastic in their plumbing, and there are several products (such as float valves, etc) that use ABS in their construction.
I'm still not sure what to think... though the skimmer would look pretty cool in black. :D

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
WOW, i am really surprised you can not find PVC in anything bigger than 2". i can find 4 at both places here, and up to 6 at Lowe's.

i would think ABS is ok, like you said my Kent float valve is made out of ABS. hopefully the guys at the store would know if it is ok to use in potable applications.

G~

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it really sucks... we also have a plumbing supply place here in town that I might check out, but last time I was in there it was pretty expensive IIRC.
I can't wait to get started this weekend on it... it'll be nice to have something besides the Seaclone. :)
I'll post a finalized design of the skimmer in the other DIY thread I started.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
check wit hsomeone at lowes .. they do have the bigger stuff. it's in a different section. all the way up to 6" for pipes and fittings. but it's not stocked where the regular pvc is at..

·
Administrator
47,640 Posts
ABS , like a lot of this stuff comes in various grades. I suspect that float switches and other parts that may find way in food or water are a higher purity blend than whats used for sewer drain. Leaching isn't a big issue with sewer drain

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads-up there Jay, I'll look into it... though I don't know if I can afford it. :D
It's amazing how pipe's price exponentially increases with it's size...

Thanks for the reply there Doug. If I remember correctly (it's been a while), ABS has a more porous cellular structure than PVC, so it gives bacteria a better environment to take hold... this could be why PVC is acceptable for water lines while ABS is primarily used in drains.
I'm not sure if this would matter in a reef though, since bacterial growth is something we usually strive for. :)

I'm probably going to do some parts shopping this afternoon if I get the time.

Thanks for everybody's input... it's nice to have a sounding board to bounce ideas off of.

David.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know this is an old thread... but...

I just asked my plumber this exact question today... he said that he couldnt see abs leech chemicals unless it was pushing hot water...

although, I have already plumbed everything using schedule 40 pvc.... too late for the cool Y's and such that abs offers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts