The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive this potentially dumb question, but from what I read, acrylic tanks can scratch quite easily. also from what I read its a pain to fix them on the inside of the aquarium and they are easily caused while cleaning algae.
So would it be possible to put a thin sheet of glass on the inside of the front panel to protect it from scratches?

·
Administrator
46,695 Posts
Probably not really practical. Most acrylic tanks have semi closed tops for structural strength and it would be a real chore getting the glass inside. IF you could do that how would you deal with whatever grew in between the glass and plastic panel?
If you are careful not to drag live rock on it and use quality scraper for acrylic, it is not that bad

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i am not a big fan of acrylic tanks for that reason.

another problem is that glass is harder than acrylic, so there is a good chance that the glass you would use to protect the acrylic would break from the bend in the acrylic. acrylic bends significantly. glass does not.

G~

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. All of those reasons do seem like bad ones. Especially when something would start to grow between the glass and the acrylic.

The scratching is my only worry about getting an acrylic tank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts