The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My husband just suprised me with a mini vacation but I dont know what to do about my tank lights. I dont have a timer so what would you do? Leave all lights on, leave some off, or what?

32 watt day time
32 watt acentic
led

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats just it. We are leaving at 4 am and just found out. Will be back sat. so its short term. I am getting a timer tho just wasnt planning on being away from my tank. Wonder if he'll let me take it with me? lol:jester:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
slap a $10 rotary timer on the lights and call it good. i used those for years just fine.

also agree, not good to leave a tank on or off for extended periods of time. if you had to make a choice than leave the lights off. less of a chance of the tank overheating.

G~

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I would goto the local HD or Lowes or CVS and get one timer just to get you by.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
If you can't get a timer before you leave, and you are only going to be gone for 24-36 hours, then I suggest you leave the lights off until you get back. :)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys lights of then. First thing when I get back he's getting me a timer for my tank. He has good intentions but never tell a woman she has to pack and be ready to go in 6 hrs. Its just not cool. It will take me that long to pack. He :nuts: he

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What would I be looking for? Is it something I plug light plugs into? Wasnt planning on doing this for a while yet cause I am always home.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Our Home Depots and Walmart are open 24hr even CVS.I got my three at Home cheepo for $4.99 each and have have them a long time.If you can't go I'd at least still one from some where in the house you must have onee for a lamp or maybe for holiday stuff to use and plug the days in it.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep goin to wally world. Thanks for the pic it helps.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The other option is to give the neighbor the key and ask them to hit the switch. But Wally World is the best bet.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well got a timer. I got the big one made for outside cause the little ones they had only controlled 1 plug. Wasnt sure if I could get both in my outlet. I dont like it tho cause all outlets work on the same timer. When I get back Ill probably exchange it for two of the sings so I can set my acentics to come on a little earlier. I quess Ill get a strip surge protector so I can plug two of them in. At least I dont have to worry about the fish while I'm gone. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts