The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can someone please help me or at least tell me whats causing this, i have a colony of over 35 heads of hammer in my large tank, ive had it for over 2 years, its been doing great, but it started going down hill last month, its shrinking more & more every day, ive lost 3 heads & 6 more are almost down to nothing, i fragged 2 heads & placed them in my other tank under MH lights, they did good for a while, now there shrinking as well ! ..can someone tell me whats going on ? i have no flatworms, no fire worms, no nudibranches, no bristleworms, cyano is not growing on the skeleton branches, but there has been some sponges growing, Calcium is 400 - 420

Lighting on large tank is 120w 10k PC (coral near the top)
New Tank 150w 10k MH (coral at water surface directly under bulb)

all other water parms are normal.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i feed them plankton,Shrimp & Cyclop-eeze. there not getting much flow, same flow ever since i had them. i thought it was the giant colt leather i added to the large tank, but its not touching it & the other hammers in the new tank are shrinking as well with no big leathers in there. ill move the ones under the MH

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone ?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Did you change anything else within the last two months? I've read that often times subtle changes often take 2-5 months to be seen in some corals. Just an idea, tapping deep into my mental roledex:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
the colt isn't touching but it is releasing toxins. soft corals are into chemical warfare. are you slimming? using carbon? doing weekly water changes? if you have a large softie in the tank with lps or sps you need to be doing those things. also sounds like you may be feeding a little heavily. another possibility is that your alk is low and when the branches try to split they die. i have seen this in frogspawns before. all the feeding sounds like you should have high phosphates. the cyano could be a problem as well. my bet is that you need to do some cleaning. i'd start with a 20 percent water change every 4 to 5 days a lot of carbon and some serious skimming. i keep a mixed reef. i actually have a toadstool in mine and they are some of the worst about releasing toxins, so it can be done.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
true my toadstool and fiji finger have battles sometimes with slimming but it doesnt seem to effect my other corals though thank god

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I would check phosphate levels and levels of iodine - - our frogspawn and torch started declining before anything else due to high levels of both.

HHC

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this colt coral is almost 2 feet high & over 1 foot wide...i guess thats the only thing it could be..i know its not the cyano..theres only a small amount left in the tank...no phosphates are showing up, i have fields of halimeda, a large clean up crew & i just cleaned the entire sand bed..all paremeters are exactly where they should be. alk,PH,nitrates,nitrites,phosphates,calcium, i test them all myself & at the LFS. but i do not have anything to test iodine, neither does the LFS carry anything. guess i'll have to sell the colt :( i'll post a pic so you guys can say if it is too big for this tank..then decide

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats been several months ago, nothing spiked up or down when i did that, infact the only thing that happend was cyano died off. but the hammers in both tanks are not doing good. :)

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, heres my large tank..my toadstool isnt fully out yet..its 2x that size when fully open..

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just fishing for potential causes...
sorry, i didnt mean to get mean..just worried, ive had this hammer since it was only like 20 heads..its grown to almost 35, & im losing it :(

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That colt may be the problem is there allot of leathers in the tank w/ the MH? Have you been fragging in tank?

no, the only 2 leathers in the new tank with the MH is, 1 inch frags of cabbage & toadstool, & no i did not frag them in the new tank. i did frag the leathers in the large tank.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol..drip acclimating would be nearly impossible, this hammer is larger than it appears in that picture ;) ...i cant even get bags big enough to hold it. ok. if i did that, it would remove my centerpeice..could i still have other soft corals along with this many leathers ? something really colorful like ricordea or zoas ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts