The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Well I'm finally tearing down my 100 gallon cichlid tank and turning it into a salt tank. My plan is to move all the contents from my 55 reef tank to my 100.

Here's my question. First of all let me state that my 55 is very healthy with a healthy refugium. The skimmer is used infrequently and when it is used captures no scum. So... Bascially I want to buy more LR and LS and more lighting for the larger tank but I want to use my wet dry sump and overflow box from my 55. I will also use the same skimmer.

Will there be a problem using a smaller sump and skimmer for the larger tank if I do regular water changes, maintain my refugium and add in the sufficient amount of LR and LS? (Plus, I intend to
add a powerhead or two to buff up the circulation)

Any input would be appreciated. I guess my question is if everything else is doing the work efficiently do I need such a large sump? (I may also add a larger refugium since my little one has been so successful...)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
wrong. it's not the overflow box that matters, well sort of it does. but whats important to think about is the 100 has more surface than the 55 does. so, if the 55 loses power and backflows to the sump, for sake of argument, let's say your overflow box drains down 1 inch of water, you may get 2-3 gallons of back flow. but with a 100, that same 1 inche of water backflow could be as high as 5-7 gallons or more. depending on the length/width of the tank.

follow me?

worst case scenario, or easiest solution...put the wet/dry/sump inside a rubbermaid container. then, if the worst happens, and it does overflow, the water will still be held in the rubbermaid, and not on your carpet. then just siphon the water back into the sump or tank when all is well again.

cheaper than buying a new wetdry

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
Jays on it :)
Another thing to consider, re skimmer etc, you should be ok if you have the fuge or even upgrade to cover the increased growth. Worst case scenario youi have to get a bigger one at some point, but I would do the rock and lighting first :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Yeah, I never thought of tank surface area but it makes complete sense. I think I will try the Rubbermaid idea.

Any suggestions on a good refugium site for designs? (I think my hang on the back will be outclassed given the new tank's size...)

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
you might consider copying your wet/dry style and get a cheap 29 gallon tank at petco or wherever is close and make your own sumpfugium.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.