The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys a question, does anyone have one of these hooked up to the tank for a backup in case there is a power outage. If so how long would one last, considering they are good for about 30 minutes with the CPU and Monitor hooked up.

DERM

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
No offense but if looking at ups for computers to do more than just keep a pump going for a few minutes is going to cost lots of money. I looked into this when trying to find a ups and using the little calculator on one of the websites would take a unit that cost over a thousand to do adequate job.

the unit I have I purchased from ww.Jehmco.com but the unit is actually just a triplite model which you may be able to find at a non aquarium site a little cheaper. The beauty of it is that you keep adding deep cell batteries to it until you get the desired runtime.

For example: I have a 129amp and a 65amp deep cell batteries hooked up to mine and will power my 110W return pump for about 16 hours.....which is plenty for me because I mostly want it to be able to keep overnight or while at work until I can attend to it. For any downtime longer than that best to fire up a generator......

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it might be a good idea, see the thing is I can get one for free, its used but works good. Would it last longer on a tank then it would on a computer?? Have you tested it just to see what it works like??

DERM

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if it's FREE...who cares, just get it!!!!

at the very least, it wont HURT to have it.

as for how long it will last, that depends on what you have plugged into it, how many amps it's pulling, and so on.

APC would be able to answer a question like that, for the particular model you have. or whatever brand it is, etc..

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you don't think it will hurt anything?? I was wondering if it would blow the motor in the filter and the air pump for the protein skimmer!!

DERM

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
While I can't speak for others, In my case it would be very comparable runtimes.

I have hooked up my computer ( P3 933 / printer / LCD monitor / several other usb devices ) up to a watt meter before and consistant pulls about 125W. Since my pump uses 110W, the runtime IMO would be comparable......

When I did my price comparison's I used the calculator on APC website that said I needed a unit that costs over a 1k.......to get 16 hours at 110w. I didn't check on any used of ebay items....

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Jujst make sure that you get one that is meant to be run for extended periods of time or you will have problems. Most units are only made to run long enough to have enough time to shut down the computer. With a APC unit get a "XL" or Matrix model. Watch ebay, they have some good deals and most of them have been checked and the batteries replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.