The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few threads from people who have similar questions, but I have my own, so I thought I would ask

My Current Setup

60 Gallon Bowfront Aquarium
Remora Protien Skimmer
3 Power Heads
Live Sand
75Lbs~ Live Rock
Hamilton Dual Halide / Flourescent Hood, about 700W

Livestock

2 Ocelarus Clowns
Sailfin Tang
Hippo Tang
Golden headed Goby
White sand star
Abalone ( 1 inch across )

Coral Banded Shrimp ( Will not be transfered )
Lots of hermits 20-30~
about 15 snails

Large Waving hand Xenia
Small Pulsing Xenia
Torch Coral
2 x Mushroom colonies
Yellow Polyps
Green Star Polyps
Large Leather coral

Everything has bee growing out of control and the tank is super healthy
it is just over a year old.

We are moving to a 120Gallon tank, I plan to add a second protien skimmer, I undertand the benefits of the wet/dry, but it's not an option
( Not really worried about the filtration )

This is what worries me, I have another 60Lbs of cured live rock that will be coming out of a well established 240Gallon tank that belongs to a friend, and I plan to move everything in one day.

1.) Should I use new sand, or transfer my sand ( Abalone and sand star....)

2.) In the next few weeks when I change my water should I keep the water I syphon off?

3.) Is doing the transfer in one day too ambitious?

I am hoping for some good feedback and advice, due to the nature of our home I cannot run both tanks simultaneous, I wish I could.

I look forward to your responses.

Daryl

·
Registered
560 Posts
From what I've gathered you should use new sand. Also I don't think doing it in one day is too ambitious. As long as everything is planned out right it should go good. There are always snags here and there. Show us some pics when you get everything up and running! Sounds like an awesome tank.

·
Registered
430 Posts
well there is a prob with all new sand if you plan on moving all livestock also it could trigger a mini cycle. that might not be good, anybody else??

·
Just Another Reefer
581 Posts
I used new sand and LR from old set-up with my upgrade from 75 to 90 gallon with out problems.

Try to transfer as much of the current tank water as possible and run for 24-48 hours without adding livestock if you can.

I did not use "live sand" packages since 75 gallon was over 2 years old and LR was well colonized,

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
I have read a few threads from people who have similar questions, but I have my own, so I thought I would ask

My Current Setup

60 Gallon Bowfront Aquarium
Remora Protien Skimmer
3 Power Heads
Live Sand
75Lbs~ Live Rock
Hamilton Dual Halide / Flourescent Hood, about 700W

Livestock

2 Ocelarus Clowns
Sailfin Tang
Hippo Tang
Golden headed Goby
White sand star
Abalone ( 1 inch across )

Coral Banded Shrimp ( Will not be transfered )
Lots of hermits 20-30~
about 15 snails

Large Waving hand Xenia
Small Pulsing Xenia
Torch Coral
2 x Mushroom colonies
Yellow Polyps
Green Star Polyps
Large Leather coral

Everything has bee growing out of control and the tank is super healthy
it is just over a year old.

We are moving to a 120Gallon tank, I plan to add a second protien skimmer, I undertand the benefits of the wet/dry, but it's not an option
( Not really worried about the filtration )

This is what worries me, I have another 60Lbs of cured live rock that will be coming out of a well established 240Gallon tank that belongs to a friend, and I plan to move everything in one day.

1.) Should I use new sand, or transfer my sand ( Abalone and sand star....)Yes new.

2.) In the next few weeks when I change my water should I keep the water I syphon off?keep 20% top and use all new for the rest.

3.) Is doing the transfer in one day too ambitious?No,Not at all!

I am hoping for some good feedback and advice, due to the nature of our home I cannot run both tanks simultaneous, I wish I could.

I look forward to your responses.

Daryl

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
:wavey: Welcome to TRT!!!

Definitely use new sand as your current sand has been in the system long enough to absorb plenty of nasty things like phosphate. The new sand will not cause a cycle or anything. If you want to seed the new sand to bring it to life quicker, you can use a cup or two of your existing sand. You will not need anymore than that.

I have done quite a few moves all in one day without much difficulty, except for how tired you will be at the end of the process. ;)

Best of luck with everything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response

WOW, thanks for all of the responses, I am planning to do this one week from tomorrow, I will be buying new sand and will post pics as soon as I have them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts