The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I have a 3 month old 38 gallon Marineland bow front, tall saltwater tank with about 45 lbs of live rock, 40 lbs of sand, a large rock covered in two types of star polyp and 2 anthias fish (a male and female, small). I have been offered a free 55 gallon tank with stand and all filters/equipment (was used as freshwater before). I am going to pick it up today. I have the extra water and another bag of sand, just wanted to know some good methods for doing the upgrade? I absolutely love my fish and want them to be happy. I have had a long road with this tank and its been through hell this past three months. I finally got everything stable and now I'm upgrading. I know its a risk but i really want the larger tank and the only cost involved is going to be another power head and another T5 light fixture and new bulbs. I will be using both my Marine and Biowheel filter that is on my current tank and washing the Aqua Clear 70 filter that my friend is giving me and adding that for extra flow/filtration. I just want some tips on how to do this upgrade seamlessly without any loss. Like i said, only two small fish and 1 coral covered rock, so it shouldn't be bad. Im thinking i need to get a medium size trash can to keep the rocks/water in while transitioning? I am going to be getting some new dry rock and cutting/gluing it for an optimum setup so there will be some holding time. Also, i have a 3.5 gallon tank i can setup for the fish while i do this if necessary.

I do try to siphon the sand out regularly, so i think i should be okay using the same sand (since it's so young) to hopefully keep the new cycle as painless as possible. I will siphon the sand again once all the rocks are pulled. If i am missing something please tell me!
Thanks

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
First of all "War Eagle" girl!

I'm going to add RO water for my 100g upgrade base, and add salt in the tank. Then put in Dr Tim's One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria and let it run about a week. After that I'll transfer my BC20 inhabitants.

One other note, regardless of the age of your sand most will say don't use it. Your live rock should provide the nutrients you want and not the bad one's the sand will bring.

Hopefully that will be sometime next week so I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
That 55g tank would be great as a sump to a 40 breeder or 75g tank
waiting to do a single transfer. The 55g is so narrow or lacks depth
that it is a pain to use as a reef style aquarium.
25-30# of rock in a 55g tank gets crowded really fast.

You won't need anymore rock that's more than ample.

I would transfer the sand after cleaning it in your already aged SW
tossing the water after each swishing out, and replace the sand bed
a little at a time later on, or not use a substrate at all, or just use 25%
for a shallow sand bed SSB not cleaning it too much for the transfer.
The added benefit of adding live nitrifying bacteria should help
stave off a mini cycle.

The anthias would fair better in a 75g tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts