The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10g and a 14 gallon tank both have been set up for a while now but a while back I decided to upgrade them to my 36 gallon bowfront. So I have had the 36 gallon set up now for about 3-4 weeks and am looking to start moving over the contents of the smaller tanks. The 36 gallon is testing good, PH-8 (a little low i know), Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, and the Nitrate is about 5 but I will do a small water change before the move which should take care of that.

My question is, can move in both tank contents on the same day? or should I move over one tank then wait a week or so before I move over the other tank? I don't have much for livestock the 10g has a small pair of clowns, a 6 line wrasse, a clear shrimp, a hermit crab and a few snails. The 15g tank has a larger pair of clowns that I'm holding for someone, 2 snails and a bit of coral. I would prefer to move everything over in one day but If it would be better I can do them separate.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
If the tank is set up like a new tank - new live rock - then no, you need to add slowly, one fish every couple weeks. If you move the rocks from the current tanks along with the fish then yes. The rocks in those tanks have the bacteria to support their current loads, a new tank won't. I wouldn't put two sets of clowns in a 37g either - the two females will fight to the death.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. Yeah I would be moving all the live rock too not just the fish, I should have made that more clear. I have already put some live sand from the 10g tank and a few live rocks into the 36g when I first set it up. I have another probably 30 lbs of live rocks between the 2 tanks to use. Plus some dry rock. So I should be good to put most of the stuff together then just keep A few rocks and stuff in the small tank for the Clowns!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Agreed! I would leave the second pair of clowns in their current tank; and enough LR to support them. You shouldn't have a problem moving everyone at once, provided that you are using the mature LR as ChiWing stated. And if you have transferred some of your mature sand, then your golden!

Send pics when you can! How do you like the bow front? I like the space that they provide, but am afraid it will distort the viewing of the tank. I haven't actually seen one set up in person.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im am not a super fan of bow fronts. I know when I had my large blood parrots in it they were really distorted and I swore I was selling the tank when they were gone. But then I thought It might make a good saltwater tank as I can pile the rocks up at the back and have the front bow stay sandy.. We will see what I think after I get a few more fish and coral lol. I will try to upload some picture later!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I gotcha I gotcha! That what i would do too! rock pile in the back, and sand floor in the front.

Good luck and I hope you like it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts