The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well I'm getting tired of my Eclipse and think its about time to step it up a notch. I have a 29 gallon tank right now and have a hankerin' for an upgrade.

I plan on building my own hood ( I know a guy that builds his own and is willing to help out). I'll be installing two 55W PC's in this hood along with temperature controled cooling fans (thank you to my buddy who's hand with circuitry on what not).

Now, I need to replace the major components that the eclipse had to offer, that is mechanical filtration. I am also going to be adding a skimmer (never had a problem before without it since weekly water changes were done religously).

I want both to be hang on and was looking at the following:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4412&N=2004+113771

and

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12320&N=2004+22769

I know the skimmer isn't the best, but it is only a 29g tank. Also, does anyone think it nessacary to add mechanical filtration? If so, is the one listed above appropriate, or would, say a Magnum canister type work better?

Any comments or something I forgot would greatly be appreciated.

LS

·
11,345 Posts
Mechanical filtration is not necessary and can be more problems than it is worth unless maintained diligently. Assuming you have healthy live rock and adequate flow through it mechanical filtration is not necessary. Getting a magnum canister filter is good to run some carbon now and then to polish your water and to possibly run some phosban or similar if you have any phophate problems. To be honest, a more economical choice and plenty effective for a system of your size would be a phosban reactor which i believe you can get at marine depot right now for $30 or so (im sure F& S has comparable prices)and it will run your carbon or phosban. Im not familiar with hang on skimmers so ill let someone else answer that part.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
i would suggest a coralife super skimmer 65.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The CPR skimmers are good little skimmers, I used one quite effectivley untill I upgraded to a tank that was too large for it. I've also heard good things about the Aqua C Remora skimmers for hang ons too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts