The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently i have (2)65w compact flourecent lighting in my 30gal tank. In addition i am in the middle of algae bloom war. I don't know if this will help or not with the algae bloom, but im thinking of modifying my Orbit Current lighting by taking out one compact flourecent light and install an HQI 250w in it. Ultimately, my goal is to defeat the algae boom and add more corals in and when i get everything under control to add a clam. The clam however, won't be added until a about a year or so from now. So should i upgrade my ligthing during algae war? or should i wait until the bloom is conquered? also, has anybody tried modifying Orbit Current lighting? i plan on doing this by getting the parts from hellolights.com and have the ballast outside the light fixtures. Any suggestion would help

thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Anytime you increase your light there is a definate chance of algae taking off as they adapt to the higher light quicker than corals will. Ultimately in the long run the different lights shouldn't really affect the algae growth unless its a color issue. WHat color rating are the PC bulbs you have and how old are they?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anytime you increase your light there is a definate chance of algae taking off as they adapt to the higher light quicker than corals will. Ultimately in the long run the different lights shouldn't really affect the algae growth unless its a color issue. WHat color rating are the PC bulbs you have and how old are they?
one bulb is a dual actinic(420nm/460nm) and the other is dual daylight(10000k/6700k). Both bulds are only like 2months old.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
If you're interested in new lights, I figure the sooner the better. BUT, that will likely have no effect, or at least not the desired effect, on the algae issue. That's to be solved through lowering nutrient concentrations in the tank. How else are you attacking the algae issue?

Also, another thought... often times clams are considerably hardier than corals, so I wouldnt worry about waiting terribly long before adding a clam after you get the algae under control.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How else are you attacking the algae issue?
I am manually pulling them out, weekly 5gal water change, and added a clean up crew (4 astrea (conehead)snails, a few hermits, 2 emerald crabs, and a few other snails).

Also, whats everyones thought on modifying the orbit current(picture on my first post). By removing the one CFbulb and adding HQI brackete in place of it. Would it get to hot and the HQI be too close to the one CF bulb?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I agree w/Chris, upgrading the light will do nothing to aid or defeat the algae. Using RO/DI, how are you testing your perams, how often, much and what are you feeding, and how are you filtering? These things will have more influence on the algae, it boils down to nutrient inport and export, algae blooms due to excessive nutrient content.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree w/Chris, upgrading the light will do nothing to aid or defeat the algae. Using RO/DI, how are you testing your perams, how often, much and what are you feeding, and how are you filtering? These things will have more influence on the algae, it boils down to nutrient inport and export, algae blooms due to excessive nutrient content.
I test with API test kit and all my numbers for nitrate and phosephate came out 0ppm. i test every other week. i use ro/di water for my water changes and top off.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Sound good, Phosphates at 0._ _? You want PO4(-3) to be less than 0.05mg/L, and at 0.9-0.07 both of which would register as 0, you will have enough phosphate to drive algae growth. Try to get a better PO4(-3) number, perhaps at LFS.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment untitled.bmp

Here is my plan for modifying my orbit current.

*remove one CF
*mount a 250w HQI in place of the CF.

Check out the pic. let me know what you guys think. Would the CF get too hot? Its probably going to be about 2 inches away from the HQI. All these will be enclosed with a glass cover(originally came with plastic cover) UV glass if i can find one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sound good, Phosphates at 0._ _? You want PO4(-3) to be less than 0.05mg/L, and at 0.9-0.07 both of which would register as 0, you will have enough phosphate to drive algae growth. Try to get a better PO4(-3) number, perhaps at LFS.
Ok, also im running phosban in my aqua c remora surface skimmer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.