The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
Well im going into day 4 of having the 60g set up. Since there isn't much to do, or see, I am passing the time of the cycle by making a spread sheet with all of my tests, it should be easy to graph after that....ok Im a nerd!

I took some pics tonight as the lights were coming on, so they are a bit yellow, even when they are on full, i think I want to get some supplemental lights sooner than later. I need to get a couple fans also....

Here are my tank readings as of 9/1/03...(Tuesday) I started cycling the rock on Friday....(this will be important later in the thread)

Amonia....ZERO....it was just noticeble the 2nd day, but now ZERO
Nitrites .2 there were none the first day now I have .2
Nitrates Zero as of right now.
PH. 8.0 Its been slowly rising it was 7.8 two days ago
SG 1.023
Temp right at 83-84....will need fans as it has been cool here.

So I know what you are thinking.....4 days of LR sitting in that rock and you have no ammonia? Thats what I thought too. So I started looking at the rock, and noticed no macro algea at all....I didn't clean it off. So I called the LFS that I bought it from and asked how long that rock had been in his tank. He thought for a while, and asked which tank I got it out of.....I told him, and he asked again to clarify if I had gotten anything out of the "cultured" tank...again I told him no. Well he "Thinks" that most of the rock in that particular tank had been there for at least 3 weeks, and that several of the pieces had been there even longer. Since I bought most of what was in that tank it stands to reason I got some of both.

So, the good news is that most of this rock looks like it has been cured to some extent in the past, the bad news is I still have to buy more rock now. He still has some "cured" rock, so I might go back and buy what he has left, but I don't think it will be enough for my liking. I want at least 2 times what I have in the tank right now. I am considering buying base rock for the rest, since this rock is already cured it will really cut down the time of my cycle.

There are pods all over the glass and rock, so that makes me pretty happy, and the micro bubbles have calmed down alot since the tank return mag 12 has been running for over 24 hours now.
All in all im pretty happy with everything so far...ive been pretty lucky...or maybe 2 years of patience and planning has paid off to some extent.

Oh, as an after thought I figured I would mention that all of my tests are currently being done with Salifert test kits.....not I need to get a good Calcium, and phosphate kits next time im out.

Ok on with the mediocre pics

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok the lights have been on a few more seconds in this pic, so you can see its really not as yellow as that first pic would suggest....needs actinics!

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mjsandbe,
The tank is doing great. I have since added 30 more lbs of rock, bought a clean-up crew, built an auto top off system, and recieved two packages of corals, one from a RAG member and one from Johnny.

As of right now my tank contains...

1 Brittle star
1 Emerald Crab
15 Astrea snails
80 Nass snails (60 were a gift)
1 green Monti Cap 5" across
1 acro frag 2" tall
2 Green shrooms
1 medium clove polyp coral
3 species of Zoanthids
and 1 big rock of Brown Star polyps...

I recently posted pics of the corals so I won't fill up thier server by reposting them.

However, I will give a little better update on the corals. The acro has shown its polyps every single day, I was worried because it came from a 400w tank, to my tank which is 250. It has also shown some early signs of growth. I noticed tonight that one of the "fingers" seemed to have a bit of a "bend" in it, so I pulled up the pic from Friday when it got here, and sure enough there is a little more distance between the tip of that finger, and the next polyp down. I know its silly to judge growth in that small of a measurement, but it makes me feel good that my quality is at least good enough for this acro and monti to start growing.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts