The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! As most of you know I work at a large lumber mill that employs about 600 people!

We have seen so many mills close up all over the western part of the US and a few in Montana. So we have been quite concerned of what may happen to us!

It looks like Plum Creek which supplies alot of our logs has closed down the woods because of a fire on their property! As you know the weather has been very hot and the woods are very dry!

So now logging trucks are not allowed on their property even to go to the log decks where logs are stored until the weather improves!

We have enough logs through August 25th and if the weather doesn't break then we could be laid off for awhile.

On the good side Stimson Lumber Co. has signed a 3 year extension deal with Plum Creek for logs to go to our mill! So that is a relief to alot of people according to our mill manager!

So we play the waiting game now on the weather! Thanks for reading!:)

·
Super Moderator
27,666 Posts
What a charmer, Clint ;)

I wondered about your job, Johnny, with what you said in the AM thread the other day. :(

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! As they say you can't control what goes on around you so make the best of what the present brings!:)

G

·
yeah johnny....thats a good sign....
and cath me and j have a friendship based upon ripping on eachother as often as possible

·
AKA Douglas Lowey
593 Posts
Hi Johnny,
Sounds like your good for a few more yet. After 31yrs. in the mining game, I can relate. Many bad times, shut-downs, extended vacations, etc.

Then the good times, all the overtime you could work, until you fell down. They just stuffed the money in your pocket as long as you would work. I once worked 83 straight shifts, many 12,s or 16,s.

I suppose it all goes with the trade, as they say. Being the same age, I imagine we got into it the same. Thats whay we did then, after getting out of the Armed forces. For me it was the RCAF.

One good thing, it allowed me to retire @ 52 and move here, close to my grandaughters. Thats the good part of it, I guess. It did leave me with some arthritis and so on though. Pthhhhh.

I wish you the best there and hope you can finish your career, then retire to Vermont, as you have mentioned.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Johnny just dump them before they dump you and have a beer:D :beer:

·
Registered
778 Posts
an email sent to me, thought i would share it!

Subject: Job Attitude

For all those who complain about their job, next time you have a bad day at work...think of this guy.

Rob is a commercial saturation diver for Global Divers in Louisiana. He performs underwater repairs on offshore drilling rigs. Below is an E-mail he sent to his sister. She then sent it to radio station 103.2 on your FM dial in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, who was sponsoring a worst job experience contest. Needless to say, she won!

"Hi Sue, Just another note from your bottom-dwelling brother. Last week I had a bad day at the office. I know you've been feeling down lately at work, so I thought I would share my dilemma with you to make you realize it's not so bad after all. Before I can tell you what happened to me, I first must bore you with a few technicalities of my job. As you know, my office lies at the bottom of the sea. I wear a suit to the office. It's a wetsuit. This time of year the water is quite cool. So what we do to keep warm is this: We have a diesel powered industrial water heater. This $20,000 piece of equipment sucks the water out of the sea. It heats it to a delightful temperature. It then pumps it down to the diver through a garden hose, which is taped to the air hose.
Now this sounds like a darn good plan, and I've used it several times with no complaints. What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working, is take the hose and stuff it down the back of my wetsuit. This floods my whole suit with warm water. It's like working in a Jacuzzi. Everything was going well until all of a sudden, my butt started to itch. So, of course, I scratched it. This only made things worse. Within a few seconds my butt started to burn. I pulled the hose out from my back, but the damage was done. In agony I realized what had happened. The hot water machine had sucked up a jellyfish and pumped it into my suit. Now since I don't have any hair on my back, the jellyfish couldn't stick to it. However, the crack of my butt was not as fortunate. When I scratched what I thought was an itch, I was actually grinding the jellyfish into the crack of my butt. I informed the dive supervisor of my dilemma over the communicator. His instructions were unclear due to the fact that he, along with five other divers, were all laughing hysterically. Needless to say I aborted the dive. I was instructed to make three agonizing in-water decompression stops totaling thirty-five minutes before I could reach the surface to begin my chamber dry decompression. When I arrived at the surface, I was wearing nothing but my brass helmet. As I climbed out of the water, the medic, with tears of laughter running down his face, handed me a tube of cream and told me to rub it on my butt as soon as I got in the chamber. The cream put the fire out, but I couldn't poop for two days because my butt was swollen shut.

So, next time you're having a bad day at work, think about how much worse it would be if you had a jellyfish shoved up your butt.

Now repeat to yourself, "I love my job, I love my job, I love my job..."

:lol:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate my job and all the idiots that run it except my boss who is a cool dude and puts family first over corporate crap!!:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts