The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago my dad and I decided to try to start a reef tank after my fish died of ich. Ever since we've had nothing but trouble. To make a long story short we haven't been able to keep hardly any corals alive. Only 1 mushroom rock and we had polyps that were doing well until we took some of the live rock out to scrape the algae off. Water conditions as follow
pH- 8.1-8.4 (hard to match colors)
Specific Gravity- 1.024
Nitrates- 0
Nitrites- 0
Ammonia- 0
We also use water from a RO/DI machine. We have spent so much money on corals that it's about time for us to call it quits unless we can start keeping things alive. We have excellent lighting (can't remember what the numbers are on the bulbs but we have 3 metal hallides and 2 VHOs). The tank is 155 gallons. My only guess is that we have a piece of metal holding the return tube onto the power head. I has some rust on it. Could this be the reason? I have no other ideas but the corals that have died include 2 mushroom rocks, 2 xenias, and some zooanthas. If anyone can help us it would be very much appreciated.

Adam

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Have you tried connecting with the local reef club? I believe that there is one right in Kansas City by you. You can see a map of clubs using the link in my signature. A local experienced reef keeper may be able to spot something that we just could not on the web.

If you are worried about the metal I suggest you take it off. Plastic clamps are available. If you think you have something odd in the water I suggest PolyFilters & Carbon.

Good Luck

I believe this is the club:
Fish Heads http://www.fishheads.org/

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok because I wasn't sure if metal was ok in reefs or not because when I first wanted to have a shark metal was a big no for them.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
How much LR? What kind of WC regimin? Does stuff die right away...maybee bad aclimating??

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
And Phoshate and Alk.The Metal is a NoNo!Who knows what that is leaching in the tank.Only metal that is OK is titanium that they use in heaters probes and grounding your tank which if you don't have that you mite have a high stray voltage in the tank or some kind of metal element breaking down in the water!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the temp is pretty stable at 81 when lights are off and 82 when they're on. I have probably around 150-200 lbs of rock. The xenias died pretty much right away, they just kept shrinking. The zooanthas did ok for a day, but now they don't come out anymore, they just stay in the yellow tube thing. I can't really remember about the other mushrooms. What I did for most of the corals was just let them float in the tank, but for the last ones I sort of drip acclimated them. I didn't think there was enough water in the bags to fill the bucket so I put a little aquarium water in and then dumped the water from the bags into the bucket. After that I just let water drip very slowly for about an hour. I think it might have dripped too slow because I couldn't really see a change in water level so I kept messing with it and it never really got a lot in. But I don't understand why the zoos would be ok for a day or two then close up and not come out again if it were bad acclimating.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also I've tried getting shrimp twice and both were dead within 12 hours, are invertebrates bad with metal? I have a lot of crabs that are doing well, but very few snails even though we bought about the same amount.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Could you tell us more specifics about the tank?

for example, we need to know...

What substrates do you use?

What corals died?

How long after introducing them to the tank did they die?

Describe how they died.

Describe specifically what you did when introducing them to the system.

What do you do in the tank every day, every week, every month? (this tells us what your husbandry of the system actually is).

What is your salinity, your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels, and the TDS of your top off water? We'll also need to know how you determined these values.

What is your system ph at 8am, 12noon, 4pm, and 10PM?

How long (and what times) is your photoperiod?

How old are your bulbs in your lighting for the tank?

What do you add to the tank in terms of additives?

What do you feed the tank, and how much and how often?

How many fish are in the tank?

How many snails, shrimps, crabs, or any other animals are in the tank?

How do you control the lights fr your system?

What kind of filtration do you use? Skimmer, Calcium and alkalinity supplementation?

How do you control the circulation in the system?

Do you use covers for your system?

Where in your home is the tank located, and what is in the same general area of the tank?

What tests do you perform for your tank, and how often?

What salt mix do you use?

How much algae can you see in the system (estimate a percentage cover or attach a pic of the system with some closeups)? Do you scrape the glass? If so, how often?

Do you do water changes, if so how much, how often, and how do you actually perform these (your method of performing the change)?

How do you make Artificial SeaWater (ASW)?

Do you use live rock? if so, how did you determine how much to use, and how much did you get?

Any power outages during the period of time the tank has been set up?

I realize this is a lot to ask, but we need very specific answers to these questions, not because we want to castigate you on how you do the tank, but because we need clues to determine what issues exist, and what we need to do to correct whatever deficiencies exist in your system,

HTH give you some encouragement and a start to correcting the system's faults.

·
Learn something every day
671 Posts
In your first post you said you had a freshwater tank and had treated it for ich. Is this the same tank? Have you ever used a copper based med to treat the other fish? If so that may be the problem and I don't know if it is fixable

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
TahoeMtn said:
In your first post you said you had a freshwater tank and had treated it for ich. Is this the same tank? Have you ever used a copper based med to treat the other fish? If so that may be the problem and I don't know if it is fixable
Very good catch.

Copper is VERY toxic to all invertibrates (corals, crustaceans, etc).

If there is ANY trace amount of copper that leeched into the silicone or into any of the rocks, this would explain your problem.

almost ALL FW ich medications contain copper.

Not to mention, some metal fittings contain copper.

Good news is, this might be the cause of your problems.

BAD news is...if it is...everything needs replaced. Tank, substrate, LR, etc. Copper soaks into all those things....and can't really be removed.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear...sorry.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
salifert copper test.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never said I had a freshwater tank that I treated with ich... this tank hasn't ever been treated for ich either. We will replace the fitting tonight and see if any of the corals look better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Crappy situation, but dont ever give up dude.If you do you'll never know what the problem is and it couldve been something that is easily fixed.My guess kind of lies within the copper parameters.If you have a LFS you should be able to take it in to them and ask them to check it for you if don't want to spend the money to buy a whole kit.GOOD LUCK!!!!!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts