The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing my waterchange last night and noticed the new lr (2 months new) smelled really bad so I took it out and found a really bad algae or something looked like black tar. So I figured I would remove it since I wanted to get my peppermint out. That was okay but then I realized I hated the way it looked. Okay lets move this rock, still no good. Well you know how this story ends my tank has been completely rearranged.

So any suggestions about this rock? It was already cured when I got it and I knew it would cause a small cycle but this is bad and it smells like death. Shouldn't cycle be done. I don't want it in the tank like that. Water params still great so it didn't affect that. Does it need to be cleaned or let it keep "curing" in different tank?

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
When you say already cured, is this from a vendor or an established tank?
I would blast the rock with a power head regularly before water changes. Keep an eye on the water parameters and maybe up the flow in the tank. Skim wet and stay on top of the maintainence. Its been in the tank for two months so I am not so sure you need to remove it unless this is a new development. is there alot of stuff on the rock that has changed in apearance?

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Also, since you re-aquascaped there will be some changes on the rock. Coraline may bleach in spots do to changes in light and flow and maybe some small changes with other life forms. Dont panick if you see this. Allthough it will be hard to track the two issues seperately.

Robert

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From vendor. The tank and other rock is over yr old. Other than the "tar" there has been no change, no coraline, no growth of anykind. There was a light algae coat after putting it in. This was deep in the branches where you couldn't see until getting up close with light.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
"Cured" rock from vendors will still have die off from shipping. The dead smell should be gone by now I would think. id the rock looking like is has some build up[ or dead stuff on it? If so, maybe when you do a WC, save the old water and take a tooth brush to the rock to clean it a bit. A few momentsa out of the tank wont kill it.

Robert

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
It sounds like the smelly rock has a piece of chicken liver sponge on it. Scrub it off or else it will take a while to decay and can produce ammonia.

I echo what was said above too - "cured" rock loses its cure when it's put in a moist box and shipped. It can stay out of water for a few hours and be OK (moving from hobbyist to hobbyist or LFS to hobbyist) but if it has to spend 12+ hours in transit, it needs to be re-cured.

Jenn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts