The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
is it really really small? the shell looks like a cerith snail to me, but those guys are little.

·
11,345 Posts
(wannreef...sorry for the slight hijack).........Geoff, you told me the other day that nassarius snails ARE welks. Does that also apply to the cool tonga nassarius snails that Marine Depot sells as "peaceful".

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/tonga-nassarius-snails---nassarius-species-inverts--snails---shelled-animals.html

I bought a couple of them and they actually have a black and white striped snorkel as well as the ones i receved tfrom them also have a white and black and grey striped body...they are actually quite pretty.

??

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
definately a welk of some kind. hard to tell if it is a Nassarius or not though. since you do not see it whenever you feed the tank i would be inclined to believe it is not a Nassarius. i would remove it the next time you see it. Welks are meat eating snails. Nassarius tend to be scavangers the others tend to be predatory. may be taking out your other snails.

G~

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Looks like it has a trunk like a Nassarius to me. I had a cerith snail that I notice in my tank after about 6 or more months. Boy what all it went thru in the beginning of my tanks existance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts