The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting new tank, been out of the hobby for several years... Received the LR from a friend. Any idea what this is? It seams to be on several rocks but this is the biggest cluster. Any idea how to get rid of it? How fast will it spread?

Thanks! :beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take the rock out, wear gloves, and scrape them off. Then cover the area with superglue.
New tank set up. This is a 55 and all rock came from friend. There are several colonies. Some small ones on just about all rock. This is just going to be a FOWLR set-up. Still have a few weeks before I plan on adding any fish. What would you do? I want to get things right before adding fish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Well if its just a FOWLR they shouldn't be a big problem unless you fish perch on the rock or something. But I would use the above method to kill the big colonies and then not add anything to the tank for a few weeks. The smaller colonies will starve without any nutrients in the water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if its just a FOWLR they shouldn't be a big problem unless you fish perch on the rock or something. But I would use the above method to kill the big colonies and then not add anything to the tank for a few weeks. The smaller colonies will starve without any nutrients in the water.
Thanks! I'll try that and just keep an eye out for big clusters again.

Thanks again! :beer: :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I placed the silly-putty looking glue from instant ocean on them. How long does it need to stay on? Will the stuff come off or does it eventually become part of the rock? It looks kind of strange now... Bright white!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts