The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I’ve been reading posts on here for a while now and finally decided to join.

I’m having problems with my coral. About two weeks ago, everything in my tank started changing. My coral used to open up like they should and all was well. Recently, my coral decided that they didn’t want to open any more and I am very concerned about it. Coral stock includes blue mushroom, hairy mushroom, two Ricordea Flordia, Kenya tree, star polyps, brain, and frogspawn. The brain, Kenya, and polyps are doing fine, however all the others have me worried.

My tank is 29 gallons with a 10 gallon sump, Reef octopus BH50 nano skimmer, Hydor Koralia nano powerhead for added flow in the DT as well as the return pump. I have a 24" Current Orbit Marine LED fixture. My tank is 3 months old.

Parameters;
Nitrate = 0
Ammonia = 0
pH = 8.0
Phosphates = 0
Alk. = 8.3 dKH
Calcium = 490 ppm
Magnesium = 1230 ppm
Salinity = 1.023

I'm not sure what the problem is. If anyone has any suggestions on what's going on in my tank, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Your salinity looks a little low. Try raising it to 1.025 or thereabouts, that seems to be a happy medium for most people. Do you keep anything else with your corals?

And welcome to the hobby. :)

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
what are you using to measure salinity? If you don't have a refractometer that would be my first step. You can pick up an automatic temp compensating refractometer on amazon and 35ppt calibration fluid for about $30 (assuming you are in the U.S... maybe I shouldn't assume that automatically...) that seemed to be the issue for me, my s.g. was actually a lot higher than I thought it was due to the hydrometer I was using. Then as Argyros mentioned you want to shoot for 1.025 - 1.026 for corals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I use a hydrometer at the moment, but I have been looking for a refractometer. I'll definitely check out Amazon! I've heard that there's some error in hydrometers, so my salinity may be lower (or higher) than that.

Also, I had two clowns, a Tommy tang, and firefish goby. But due to the worst case of ich ever, I've lost both clowns and the goby. So just the tang at the moment. :(

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
A 29g is far too small for any tang. Part of that is size, but there are other reasons - bioload, the amount they swim, territoriality, aggression, foraging. I'd imagine with the small amount of grazing room there is in a 29g the tang might be picking at your coral. He needs to be rehomed ASAP. You'll have constant issues trying to keep him in that size tank.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I assume you've done a water change since you noticed the corals closing up, right? If you don't know the problem and can't find a specific solution, a water change can't hurt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done a water change. I normally do 10% but have since done a 20% wc.

It has occurred to me that maybe the tang is affecting the coral. My problems started around the time I added him to my tank. Never thought he could be the problem...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run my blue lights from 11 am to 9 pm and white from 1pm to 7 pm. I've been trying to find a happy medium with intensitys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still no luck on my coral. I tried moving some things around and adjusted flow in my tank a few days ago, but to no avail. Next step would be to raise my salinity. I checked it this morning and it's at about 1.0225 sg, with a hydrometer. I think my hydrometer may be off. Does anyone have any recommendations on a decently priced refracometer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts