The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know a local supplier for union/ball valves, like the one below? I can't seem to find one at Home Depot, but their pvc dept is always messy, and no one seems to understand what I'm looking for. I just can't stand to pay the $25ea that Marine Depot wants for the 1" version of these. I have limited space under my stand, so this item will save a ton of space for installing my external pumps.

Also, I am looking for MALE threaded couplers, seems all I can find are female. I know they make 'em cuz I have one, I just need a couple more!

TIA for any advice,
Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
MENARDS has the best and largest selection of plumbing pieces out of all of the 3 big home imp stores (lowe's, HD, menards)...at least that's how it is here...I'd give them a shot

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I did just check ebay, and someone just happens to be selling these (although in the double union/ball valve) in the $10 range. I think I can live with that, altho I'm still going to look for the single union.

Sean

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Menard's and HD have unions and ball valves sold separately, but not on the same unit. I ordered my single union ball valves through Aquatic Ecosystems. They have an excellent selection and the price isn't bad. Gotta wait about 4 days for shipping though...I think my 1-1/2" was about $18, but they have a few different price grades.

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
I paid 7.00 for my unions (I think they were that much as I paid 25 something after tax)

I got banjo unions

http://134.84.178.127/reef/view/union.jpg

got em locally at St Louis Park I think, I would have to check the invoices somewhere, its over by excelisor bvld something

if you really want - let me know I ll look for more info...

but the unions are strange, at closed portion, the ball comes out if you take the union apart.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is weird. Although I'm sure it must, I don't see how it holds the water in if the ball comes out. Does it stay in if the ball valve is closed but the union is separated? The point of this is to hold water in the sump and still be able to remove the external pumps, right?

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Yep, you want the union on the pump side and the ball on the line side. Close the ball, disconnect the union and remove the pump. On a closed loop style setup, you may need a union and a ball/gate on each side, depending on where your loop returns to. A typical sump return pump would only require one on the output (or possibly not at all depending on your setup and how movable your plumbing is).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.