The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone Know what this is? Tank has been up and running for a year just a few weeks ago this started growing. Any help would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hard to tell from picture is it out in light or tucked away hiding from light? Strawberry anemones will be in the light the pseudos are completely non photosynthetic so they will tuck away usually under a cave either way they are nothing to worry about

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Strawberry anemones are cold water, very cold. You have a corynactis. Take a look at the link in my signature for more info.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Good point scruffy strawberry hitchhikers are typically if ever seen in tanks such as a sea horse tank due to the colder temperature. I agree on the white ball calimorph pseudo

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I've got a few of these tiny little anemones, not sure if they are pseudos or strawberry or what, but they don't seem to hurt anything... if you have a good actinic light wait until dark and turn just the actinics on and you can find these little anemones pretty easy as they fluoresce nicely in my tank.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
I've got a few of these tiny little anemones, not sure if they are pseudos or strawberry or what, but they don't seem to hurt anything... if you have a good actinic light wait until dark and turn just the actinics on and you can find these little anemones pretty easy as they fluoresce nicely in my tank.
Unless you are keeping your tank below 50 degrees, they are not strawberrys. Temporate species of corynactis and psuedocorynactis are very common in out tanks. I'd venture to say that a lot of us have a couple someplace in our tanks. With them typically staying in darker areas, many of us will never know they are there.

Here is a great link for a coldwater tank with strawberrys: http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_coldwater.htm

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
Unless you are keeping your tank below 50 degrees, they are not strawberrys. Temporate species of corynactis and psuedocorynactis are very common in out tanks. I'd venture to say that a lot of us have a couple someplace in our tanks. With them typically staying in darker areas, many of us will never know they are there.

Here is a great link for a coldwater tank with strawberrys: http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_coldwater.htm
its probably the pseudos, whatever it is I have several that are visible under actinic lights... they are hard to find when all the lights are on but under actinics they fluoresce.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts