The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I set up a 29 gal about a weeks ago. I just put the light on it about two days ago and it is a 250 W RO 3 DE pendant with a aqualine 10K bulb. I have the tank on the second floor in my house. My issue is not that it gets the tank too hot, it's that it makes the room to **** hot. It heats the room by about 10 degrees. I dont think a fan will do much unless it is pointing out the window. **** it. If it;s not one things it;s another

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Yeah my tank hit 84 today......scary.....the air space around was definately no better. Good luck!

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
Well you will have a little suana then. Hopefully the temp will hold steady for you smeese.

smeese said:
Yeah my tank hit 84 today......scary.....the air space around was definately no better. Good luck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
My house has central air, but I have a window A/C in my bedroom (which is where my tank is) this keeps my room nice and cool. If I don't have the A/C on the room can get about 87. I only run the A/C a few hours a day.

Good luck with yours!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
We knew it was gonna get hot today and the tank got up to 83 yesterday, so we turned the central air on last night. It was a beautiful thing to see the tank hold steady at 79 all day.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
My central air currently is not hooked up--just got a new unit, but I need to get that portion of the foundation fixed before I can get it hooked up :help: ). I have 3-4 fans on my tank, and the lights are only running for 3 hrs/day total right now. :( I hit 84 yest, 82 today. I think I'm going to go and get another fan that can evaporate water from the sump a little better, and maybe one that can blow atop the tank a little better too. It doesn't help that my chiller took a dump a few weeks ago. I don't think it ever worked that well, so I'd rather do other things to get the tank cooler.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Big enough fan will do the trick. A single big commercial style fan, think it's a 3 or 4 amp kept mine at 80 when the room was 100 at the office all weekend.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Tutmos said:
Big enough fan will do the trick. A single big commercial style fan, think it's a 3 or 4 amp kept mine at 80 when the room was 100 at the office all weekend.
And this would look really attractive in my house. :jester:

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Folks 82-83 isn't that bad, the reefs see higher temps than that in the heat of summer. That is not to say to keep it stable near a temp that was ground into your head over the years. I am the same way but IMO 84-85 is not even grounds for panic.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Well, I've already hit 84.5, and it's going to be hotter this weekend, so I better take measures now.

Mary, reason #2 to not have that fan. Ouch.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
The tank is down to 77 today, and the lights won't come on for another couple hours...I'll probably have to put some fans on timers and then hook it up to the temp controller on my aquacontroller. I would like to keep the tank in the 80 range, so I might as well figure out how to do it with fans. I'm not sure I really want to set up a nother chiller, as it was spendy to begin with, and then it only "worked" for a couple years before taking a crap, so if I could do it with a $20 fan, why not? I really like aquamedic products, but their chiller really left something to be desired.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
my tank hit 86 yesterday. i didnt have my chiller hooked up. just a couple of fans. well its hooked up now! lol and i think the ac will be running today too. i think anything over 87 will be disaster.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I hit 87 and everything looks great, weird enough. I think I'm streatching it so I'm putting some ice in to cool it down a degree or two.

BTW my ice is filtered.

I also turned the AC on as well. I don't want to be the one that has to report the temp that kills the tank.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Another thing that I do is keep a bunch of half gallon milk jugs filled with water in the freezer. If the temp gets to wacky I just throw a couple in to bring it down. Then you don't have to worry about the water getting in the tank.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
redwinger said:
Another thing that I do is keep a bunch of half gallon milk jugs filled with water in the freezer. If the temp gets to wacky I just throw a couple in to bring it down. Then you don't have to worry about the water getting in the tank.
Thats a good method. It also helps keep the fridge from kicking on as much. Water is cheeper to keep cool than air :)

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Well, even without any AC all weekend, the tank is staying steady around 81. That's pretty good, considering the house thermostat is reading 87!

It looks like tomorrow is going to be a little better, so I don't think I have to rush out and pick up a in window AC or beg my heating/cooling guy to come hook up my AC. :)

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Tutmos said:
Forget the tank how can your family stand it at 87??!!!
You learn to survive. We went with no AC last year during the hottest week of the year. 90's pretty much all week. Sucks arse but you learn to adapt, well kind of.:arg:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts