The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am interested in doing a 80 gallon (48"l x 24"w x 16"h) rimless build using a ghost overflow. The existing deep blue professional 80 gallon rimless is perfect, except for the fact that it only comes reef-ready. They make a standard 80 gallon that is not reef ready but it is also not rimless.

Instead of spending 3 times as much on a custom aquarium, I am wondering if I could remove the weir and seal off the bulkheads in the reef-ready tank. Is this a bad idea? I imagine the weir and silicon could be removed cleanly, but I am worried about a disaster situation if one of those bulkheads leaked or blew. Maybe the bulkheads could actually be removed and then I could epoxy/silicon a 1/2 piece of glass above the two holes?

I am excited about this build, but my wife may well leave me if I end up flooding our apartment! :confused:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
If you want to do away with the bulkheads you can just cap them with plumbing fittings. If one will not screw on the threads you can glue in a PVC pipe and cap it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may just end up capping them then. Will it be safe though? How often to bulkheads leak or give out? If there ends up being an issue I will have to completely drain the tank.

As for the returns, I plan on bringing them in through the back glass on the back right and left corners of the tank just below the waterline. I want almost no pipes at all visible in the DT. The plan is to plumb this thing almost exactly like the BRS that Bulk Reef Supply did (you can see it in week 5 of the series).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts