The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Wondering if any of you have any ideas on this... Currently I am transforming my hundred gallon freshwater tank into a marine tank. The tank is plumbed for two undergravel inlets which pass water through a ocean clear filter then pump the water back into the main tank...

Basically I am wondering if there is any way I can use the undergravel bulkheads as an overflow box of sorts. In other words, I already have a full filter, refugium, skimmer set-up but I am wondering if I can use my Little Giant pump as a powerhead.

I guess the biggest problem is preventing sand from entering the bulkhead so I guess I'm wondering if there is a way to do that. Perhaps a fine mesh screened box of sorts that can be hidden behind some rocks, allowing water in but no sand...

The advantages to this would be less need to put more powerheads in the tank or another overflow box. Also, the return jets are at a great height to create maximum circulation. Plus, the Little Giant is doing nothing now and I want to find a way to use it.

Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i think what you are looking to do is create a Closed Loop System. i would not use the undergravel plates though. by all means use that LG pump for more circulation.

are these bulkheads through the glass? do you have pics? if you need to you could put elbows on the bulkheads and put the intakes a little higher then the sand level.

G~

1 - 3 of 3 Posts