The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a closed loop, and shut it off for a week, would anything happen to the water sitting in the loop that would make you not want to circulate it back into the tank? Or is it fine to just turn it back on?

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
i dont think anything bad will be or happen to the water in the closed loop.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If I shut it off for aweek I like to take the water out, I don't know if the water would be bad but it would make me feel better, would not take a chance. I put so much time and effort on my tank it is not worth taking a chance, how long will it take me to restart it, 10min? not worth it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Little Luey said:
If I shut it off for aweek I like to take the water out, I don't know if the water would be bad but it would make me feel better, would not take a chance. I put so much time and effort on my tank it is not worth taking a chance, how long will it take me to restart it, 10min? not worth it.
Well, in my case it's a bit of a difficult proposition to get the water out. I'm just trying to evaluate the relative risk.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Water doesnt go bad IMO, its not milk:) but i dont want you to lose your tank either or sleep for that matter....

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
thats true, i guess i should of asked for his tank size and exactly how big his closed loop is.......but if its a decent sized tank, and a average closed loop i see no problems.....but then again i dont know his tank size or his closed loop specs...

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
how many feet is the CLS's length? if it is relatively short like under 2' long than the risk is minimal. if it was 8' each direction like mine, i would not risk leaving it off for that long. the furthest point away from the tank would start to go anoxic pretty quickly. is there any way you can have it cycle on for an hour each day? why not leave it on all of the time?

G~

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
I agree with vinnie, I had some water sitting in the pipes of my closed loop while I was waiting on a replacement pump. I think it sat for 2 weeks and when I opened the ball valve since I forgot to clean out the pipe it was stiiiiiinkyyyyy. So I would make sure to drain the lines before you get it recirculating the closed loop again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts