The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i ve had my tank up for a little over three months. i got a light upgrade from 1 pc 65w to two pc 65w = 130w. a few days later, brown every where. i was told this would go away on its own. a month of frequent water changes later, it died down only a little. now its being replaced by red slime. its on the rock, the sand, the back wall. i feel like there is something i can do, but i dont know what. it looks disgusting. some of the air in the water gets trapped in the slime and forms a bunch of little bubbles on the rock. i ve been using purple up since day one, but yet have to see any purple or up. all my parameters are grreat, i get them checked often. when the lights are off, you could see all the brown and stuff on the rock that isnt extremely noticable when the lights are on. other than that, every things are good, all systems are go, fire at will. could someone give me some adivce please. i just want what i see in the pic on the reef tank: regular colored sand with no brown, red, technocolored syuff on it, LR with some purple on it, a lot of purple on it, pleple little dots forming on the walls(i was told this was good), and thats it. there seems to be something new plagueing me everytime i fix a current problem. thanks ~Alex~ aka Alex

·
11,345 Posts
The algae is normal but it sounds as if you have a nutrient import/export imbalance that is keeping it around. Need to know your water parameters and you need to evaluate whatever you add to the tank as food.

The corraline you will see in 2 1/2 to 5 months of starting a new system assuming your calcium levels and other parameters have been at good sustained levels for this time.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
chandu64 said:
So i ve had my tank up for a little over three months. i got a light upgrade from 1 pc 65w to two pc 65w = 130w. a few days later, brown every where. i was told this would go away on its own. a month of frequent water changes later, it died down only a little. now its being replaced by red slime. its on the rock, the sand, the back wall. i feel like there is something i can do, but i dont know what. it looks disgusting. some of the air in the water gets trapped in the slime and forms a bunch of little bubbles on the rock. i ve been using purple up since day one, but yet have to see any purple or up. all my parameters are grreat, i get them checked often. when the lights are off, you could see all the brown and stuff on the rock that isnt extremely noticable when the lights are on. other than that, every things are good, all systems are go, fire at will. could someone give me some adivce please. i just want what i see in the pic on the reef tank: regular colored sand with no brown, red, technocolored syuff on it, LR with some purple on it, a lot of purple on it, pleple little dots forming on the walls(i was told this was good), and thats it. there seems to be something new plagueing me everytime i fix a current problem. thanks ~Alex~ aka Alex
It is hard to tell for sure what it is, but it sure sounds like Cyano. Or Red slime. Does it have bubbles in it?
Also how much food are you feeding your fish, and how often? Also what type of water do you use to top off?

·
Human grounding probe
1,896 Posts
I agree that you have a nutrient problem. Sounds as if you had an initial diatom outbreak wich is common and you are now dealing with cyano bacteria. Both of wich fall into that "new tank syndrome" cataogry. I'd stop the purple up ASAP. Adding that is most likely helping prolong your cyano outbreak. Are you doing your water changes with RO/DI water?? If not you should find some or at the very least use distilled, it's cheap. The ideal is to try to limit, as much as possible, the amount of nutrients entering your system while exporting as much as possible. Wait until right befor lights out, that is when cyano is at it's greatest mass for the photoperiod, and siphon out as much of the "slime" as possilb and replace the siphoned water with fresh mixed water. This will in effect remove the nutirients the cyano needed to grow during the day, remove the cyano it's self and do a change water out at the same time. Good luck and don't give up. All new tanks have growing pains, the key is to be pacient.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i Feed my fish small amounts of frozen brine every other day. i use RO water when doing water changes and i do them often. ive stopped using the purple up for about two weeks now. I use RO fresh water to top off the tank. Yes it has bubbles in it. I ve tried siphoning it out at all times of day. it is almost more pursistant than I. Ive pretty much have been doing everything recomended, thats why it confuses me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts