The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its about 86f in london today, been that way for the last week and looks like its here to stay for a little while
Normally it's a sweet time of the year for me :dance: but my tank has hit 80'f for the first time and rising :doh: i've got extra fans blowing at the tank and i've still got a HUGE FAN for extra backup :agree:

I guess we all have trouble with temps in the summer but i've noticed my Ph has risen as well. Its normaly a 8.02 - 8.28 swing but with this heat i'm reading 8.12 - 8.38

Even though my ph is higher the swing is still the same, is this a normal phenomena in warm weather?? or a warning that somethings going pete tong??

Be real good to hear some advice from you guys wether it be good or bad

Matt

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I am not sure about temperature affecting the ph, but I know that the time of the day makes the ph vary, it has to do with your light cycle.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Little Luey said:
I am not sure about temperature affecting the ph, but I know that the time of the day makes the ph vary, it has to do with your light cycle.
Yeah i know what you mean Luey, the figures i gave are before and after lights, just seems strange that my Ph is higher but the same swing!?!?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Matt,

What is actually happening is that your pH is coming up from being bit too low. Your increased surface circulation of exchange air is helping blow off some of the accumuating CO2 in the water column, so you should expect to see these 8.10~ to 8.40 swings so long as your tank has adequate akalinity and the Ca is not too high.

This is actually an improvement in your system, and may help prevent a bleaching episode should your temps creap into the 85F or higher range. Improving circulation within the tank will also reduce the chances of bleaching events, so long as the use of additional (submerged) pumps does not add to your heat load. You may want to make some partially filled (with water) freezer ziplock bags ahead of time to use if the temps start hitting 85F (29.5C). If the temps start getting too high, float a frozen bag of water in the tank (the ziplock prevents the water from diluting into the tank as it melts).

Of course, an AC in the fish room will keep both you and the tank cool, and there is lways the chiller application...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
just make sure that you do not use ziplock freezer bags... they actually have VERY small perforations and can actually cause an osmotic exchange.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Alk is low , it's increased from 5.1 to 7dkh over the last month with a change of salt brand, as for Ca over the last 3 mths its the most stable parameter i check, it's always 420ppm with salifert, checked with my lfs :)

My tank looks really healthy, theres no visible problems it's just the rise in Ph thats got me worried, i've read so much about Ph being the first warning sign and now i've noticed a change within days

Thanks for the reply's, maybe it's not as bad as i thought, shame i didnt post before i wasted more ph calibration fluid!

Thanks

Oh yeah great idea with the frozen bottles :beer:

EDIT always 420ppm = within + - 10ppm :)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
wouldn't worry about the pH at this point, but you may want to use some bicarb (baking soda) to bump up your alkalinity.

Good thing Tony is watching, I think the plastic bottles would be much better too, as there usually is a problem with ziplocks leaking occasionally (although I use them all the time as doublebagging for patients to make ice packs, maybe it is time to rethink that)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
freeze some bottle of water to keep the temp down in the tank as previously stated

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tdwyatt said:
wouldn't worry about the pH at this point, but you may want to use some bicarb (baking soda) to bump up your alkalinity.
quote]

I've got kent super buffer, seachem reef builder and bicarb, also got baking powder :rotflmao: my Mg is also lower than nsw so i've got Mg sulphate and Mg chloride here but too scared to add anything, i have these thoughts that i'll add some of this stuff and i'll wake up to a disaster

Think i need to grow up a little and start getting the parameters close to nsw but my tank/fish and corals look so healthy i'm kinda hoping Wc's will solve everything. I've just bought a huge tub of tropic marin pro reef that does say optimizes alk so maybe after a few 10% wc's and my parameters are still off i'll have to start adding chemicals

Thanks for the help

Matt

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Matt_b said:
... Mg is also lower than nsw so i've got Mg sulphate and Mg chloride here but too scared to add anything, i have these thoughts that i'll add some of this stuff and i'll wake up to a disaster... ..kinda hoping Wc's will solve everything. I've just bought a huge tub of tropic marin pro reef that does say optimizes alk so maybe after a few 10% wc's and my parameters are still off i'll have to start adding chemicals
Matt, do some 50% water changes, maybe two in a row about 4 days apart, this will bring not only your Mg back in line, but will fix the other conservative elements that will be off in proportionality as a result of using 2 part additives over time. Craig Bingman had a good computer model for testing some theories on this, I will look tonight and see if I can find them on the 'Net tonight.

Your critters may pout for a few days, but overall the system will respond with much better growth and vitality.

HTH

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tdwyatt said:
Matt, do some 50% water changes, maybe two in a row about 4 days apart, this will bring not only your Mg back in line, but will fix the other conservative elements that will be off in proportionality as a result of using 2 part additives over time. Craig Bingman had a good computer model for testing some theories on this, I will look tonight and see if I can find them on the 'Net tonight.

Your critters may pout for a few days, but overall the system will respond with much better growth and vitality.

HTH
I've just run out of Rc , my next Wc will be with tropic marin will that change anything you said?

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
297 Posts
Un like down south where when it is hot you have humidity, I would bet the air there is pretty dry, This is a good and bad thing. Good because you drop the temp with evaporation bad because you will be loosing water pretty fast. I would have a few gllons of treated fresh water on hand let fans cool the tank with the evaporation and add water as fresh water as needed , I would not add saltwater because it might cause your salinity to go up. this may also help the PH a little by the introduction of freshwater. I am not sure but if someone else might know if it is good to treat the freshwater with some kind of buffer.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Matt_b said:
I've just run out of Rc , my next Wc will be with tropic marin will that change anything you said?

Thanks Tom
I am not big on changing salt mixes mid-stream, however, if you do, it needs to be big percentage changes to minimize any potential for reaction between the salt mixes. Personally I would recommend IO, but if you already have the TM, might as well go ahead and use it.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Matt,

What brnd of salt did you end up using, and how is the system doing now?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts