The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have my new 30 gallon set up. its 30 inches long, and the only light fixture that i saw online was this 30 inch 2x31 watt T5 lighting. I bought this light fixture for a total of 120 bucks including shipping. I am pretty sure this is low wattage in lighting, but i could not find any other light fixtures with more wattage than this one. The ones with higher wattage are always longer than 30". where do people get their lights? I see many people with 30inch long tanks with more than 2x31 watts. I am trying to keep soft corals such as mushrooms and zoanthids. is this enough?

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I would suggest a single 150w MH over the tank with a quality reflector like the SS Reef Optic 3 and a matching electronic ballast with a phoenix 14K bulb... just my opinion here...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, thanks dmora, i wished i went to that website before i ordered a $120 light fixture with only 61 watts... jeez..... i screwed up big time.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You ordered the corallife fixture correct? I think corallife is the only company that makes a 30'' HOT5 bulb which is why you didn't find any other options; 31watt at 30" is High Output. I think you are fine with what you ordered. You can always add a second fixture if you feel you need it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You ordered the Coralife fixture correct? I think Coralife is the only company that makes a 30'' HOT5 bulb which is why you didn't find any other options; 31watt at 30" is High Output. I think you are fine with what you ordered. You can always add a second fixture if you feel you need it.
wow, thanks dmora, i wished i went to that website before i ordered a $120 light fixture with only 61 watts... jeez..... i screwed up big time.
Oh con trier', no screw up at all! Like raskal says, they are high output (HO) T5 bulbs, you're good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts