The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okee heres mine. when i ordered a candy cane coral i never expected to open the bag and see this monstrosity. it still may be ship shocked ive only had it for about 2 weeks now. but the dang thing is brown, it does have green centers but there kinda pinched.
so come on lets see those ugly corals! :beer:

·
11,345 Posts
Pastina...when that thing gets healthier and more meat on his bones you are going to have to apologize for calling him ugly.......

I promise....treat him well so we can watch that become reality

ill go, but i will give you the ugly and the beautiful.. this coral does this EVERY day.....ugly duckling by day.......one of the most beautiful corals i keep by night

Attachments

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh wow what is that one? ive never seen that kind before
yeah my older candy cane went through the case of the "skinnies" when i first got him, now hes fat and plump...but he was never brown hehe

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
pastina, that was the first candy cane that i ever bought. it stays brown but, not as dark. it actually gets to be nice looking. needless to say, it died on me. i now have the pretty fluorescent green one.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The Brown in the coral is the zoothlite (spelling) that lives in the coral as it is used by the coral it will change color and look better. My Trumpet Coral has a couple of bulbs that look the same.

I leaned this from the corals book by Eric Borneman

Fred

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Butch......hes NOT ugly...he just doesnt look all that happy, to put it lightly.........have you tried putting him in the sand and handfeeding him every day a little bit???
He's been in the sand for a couple weeks. He poofs up a bit every once in a while. I try to feed him every day. I've tried Mysis, Cycopese, and mush. He's in as little light as possible.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brown is the color of that ugly baby its not him losing his zoanthns or whatever its called hehe
candy canes take a bit to puff up. my older one took about a month, i was ready to toss it then all of a sudden it just looked great.
about 2 heads puffed up the other day, then it deflated again
ill give it a month, if it doesnt improve its garbage
on a few heads i can see a bit of skeleton that scares me, and my coral beauty decided to nibble at it one day, i only saw her do this once but im sure she didnt help it any :doh:

·
11,345 Posts
pastina said:
ill give it a month, if it doesnt improve its garbage
:doh:
Early this year, in the middle of winter i had a candy cane i ordered(along with a bunch of other corals) get re-routed to canada....for TWO days....in the middle of WINTER.

Marine depot of course credited the entire load, shipping and all, but one of the corals in question was a candy cane fairly similar to the one you have now. After a week there was ZERO flesh i could see on it.

I just took pics a couople of minutes ago of it and a couple that are a little bit healthier

Here is a pic of that same candy cane 6 months later.......it STILL looks rough and it has been in a healthy system that enables most things to grow well.

It will never be as pretty as the other ones but it is cool watching it go from not having a chance to actually extending its tentacles and growing.........i cant wait to see what it looks like in 6 more months......

dont throw it in the trash pastina

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts