The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my right of passage finally arrived. I did a 10 gallon water change last night, and during the process, I unknowingly knocked the venturi tube for my skimmer off its normal perch so that it was draping over the side of my sump.
Once the skimmer shut off for the night (about 12am), I guess the water travelled up the tube and proceeded to drain about 4 gallons of water onto the carpet under the stand.
We awoke this morning to a raspy sucking sound, which was my Mag5 trying to find water to send to the tank, which by this time was all over the floor. I'm not sure how long it took the water to drain (probably a slow drip), but the Mag5 came through unscathed, even after running dry for who know's how long.
So, after adding another 4 gallons of saltwater I'm back in business... and I'm going to order a replacement sump pump just in case this happens again and I'm not so lucky next time. :)

Isn't it funny how it's always the small things that come back to bite you in the ***? :D
I guess I got lucky that it wasn't worse... now I just have to figure out how to dry the carpet under the stand. :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Something like that happend to me. My skimmer drain hose was conencted to a 1 gallon milk container, well if over flowed during the night...now I have it connected to a 5 gallon jug.... :D

-Paul

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice setup there Doug! :beer:
I'm curious though... the two bulkheads on the center tank look like they're below the DSB... is there a purpose to that?

Well, the floor is drying out little by little... I have a fan pointed at it right now which seems to be doing a fairly good job... but I'm sure the carpet will get a nice coating of salt... time to break out the steamer vacuum. :D

·
Registered
680 Posts
:funny: Yea it's hard to imagin life with out PVC :funny:
The tank on the right is just used as a water change tank! All I do is close one valve then drain the tank. My RO/DI storage tank is the same size so all I have to do is close the drain valve let the mixed SW gravity drain into the tank then re-open the circulation valve. 30gal water change without lifting anything! Well maybe two beers one to watch it empty a one to fill :beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mainly shut it off for the noise factor... it sits directly on the glass bottom of the tank and gives off a low drone, which usually isn't noticeable during the day when the powerheads and canopy fan are on.
I think I'm going to leave it running from now on during the night... even if it is kinda noisy... don't want it to drain the sump again. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.