The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal: My wife and I just bought our first house and are currently painting every square inch of it :help: . We aren't moving in for a few weeks, but I want to get my reef tank set-up or at least have a good plan in place for when I actually move it. I had planned to upgrade from our 46g bowfront to a 65g because I can reuse most of our stuff on it without spending a whole lot. I have been trying to track down some used 58g or 65g tanks, but they seem to disappear quickly or the owners aren't in a hurry to get rid of them. I already have an undrilled 75g Oceanic with a stand and canopy in the garage, but I was holding that for my 'dream reef' project. Is it possible to get this tank ready for saltwater ~$500? I had planned to stick with a sumpless tank unless I could find one pretty cheap that was already reef-ready. Any information is more than helpful.

Thanks for your help!
Brian aka Swbe

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I would use the oceanic, get it drilled and have an overflown installed. Youll be sorry eventually that you dont have a sump

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If you are reusing the stuff from your 46, then there is a good chance that you can stay under the 500 mark.
If you keep your eye open for a reef ready tank that is used, that is going to be your best bet. Otherwise you would have to either DIY it, use a hang on overflow, or not have a sump at all. In my opinion you want a sump. So I would just try and keep my open for one out there somewhere.

·
Registered
163 Posts
if your setting up a new tank you might as well upgrade now. eventualy you will, so why spend $$ now just to spend even more later. just do it once and get it over with.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
you can either get it drilled, or go with an overflow box, depending on what you wanna keep, lights might be salvaged. but a bigger skimmer is probably gonna be needed. i dont see why you couldnt get a skimmer and lights for around 500. you can diy a sump dirt cheap with a old tank that will fit under the stand and some panes of glass or plexi from homedepot. its really easy. the other big expense will be live rock. sure you cant add a couple more dollars to that budget? just dont paint your kids room, thats a couple bucks right there!!

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to forward this thread to my wife! ;)

The thing is, I am so scared of getting carried away with little odds and ends expenses. Here's what I have so far:

75g Oceanic tank and stand (and very shallow canopy)
2 - Maxijet 1200 PH's
AquaC Remora PRO HOB skimmer (need to trade this for an in-sump model of some sort)
300w Won Bros Titanium Heater
~55lbs LR

I can get Southdown (or whatever it's called now) for the substrate and I can pick up LR locally for ~$3/lb. I don't have a 48" light, but the LFS said that since I'm sticking with Softies, I can use as little as a 260w (4x65w) Coralife Aqualight and be just fine until I want to upgrade. Also, the LFS ill drill and mount a center or corner overflow for $40.

I think it's entirely possible to get this thing moving for ~$500. Maybe I'll make a "Reef on a Budget Thread' as I'm putting it together.

Thanks for all your replies!
Brian

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
saltwater_wannabe said:
I'm going to forward this thread to my wife! ;)

The thing is, I am so scared of getting carried away with little odds and ends expenses. Here's what I have so far:

75g Oceanic tank and stand (and very shallow canopy)
2 - Maxijet 1200 PH's
AquaC Remora PRO HOB skimmer (need to trade this for an in-sump model of some sort)
300w Won Bros Titanium Heater
~55lbs LR

I can get Southdown (or whatever it's called now) for the substrate and I can pick up LR locally for ~$3/lb. I don't have a 48" light, but the LFS said that since I'm sticking with Softies, I can use as little as a 260w (4x65w) Coralife Aqualight and be just fine until I want to upgrade. Also, the LFS ill drill and mount a center or corner overflow for $40.

I think it's entirely possible to get this thing moving for ~$500. Maybe I'll make a "Reef on a Budget Thread' as I'm putting it together.

Thanks for all your replies!
Brian
As long as you don't cut too many corners on on this build you should be ok.
also getting base rock will help keep the build price down.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
yea, if you sitting on 55 lbs of live rock, get 40 lbs of base rock, and stack the live ontop! get the best skimmer you can possible afford! the lights should be pretty cheap. your on your way! congrats to a huge reef tank!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Brian- i can set you up, buddy. i have base rock, Southdown and diamond hole saws. all for the taking. well, you can borrow the hole saws, these are way to important to give away, but you get the idea. :D

you want a 55g for a sump?

G~

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geoff said:
Brian- i can set you up, buddy. i have base rock, Southdown and diamond hole saws. all for the taking. well, you can borrow the hole saws, these are way to important to give away, but you get the idea. :D

you want a 55g for a sump?

G~
I never new there was a Geoff-Mart in Pittsboro! :thumbup:

Will a 55g fit under there? I need to break out the tape measure and check it out. I was only planning a 20g, but bigger is always better.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
BGJ223 said:
Look at this the reef community is coming together. I feel a hug coming
what is with you and hugs tonight??? **** hippies.;):doh:

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for their responses!!

It's official, I will be setting up the 75g in the new house. Hopefully after a trip to Geoff-Mart, I will have almost everything I need. ;) Now all I have to do is finish painting and the trim in the new tank room and I'll be good to go. I will be keeping a log of my progress with lots of pictures, so you guys can critique my work.

Thanks again!!
Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts