The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Quicks stats, then I'll get on with my business: 14 gallon bio-cube. 15 pounds of live rock. Three soft corals. One fire shrimp, one false perc clown, newly added slightly larger false perc clown. All water parameters great.

I took back my Godzilla of a Lawnmower Blenny, (he is now in the LFS). I also took back my false perc clown that had done nothing but hover the heater for a month. Long story short; They introduced him to a slightly larger false perc in the store (yes, in the same water together). Low and behold, they get along great.

I take the two of them (the two false clowns) back home. the first three hours were great, they are hovering around each other all over the place. Then the larger one starts thrashing on my little clown! It was like Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz! The bigger one really bit the little one hard on his lower front fin and he's keeping it close to his body now but still not afraid of the big one. The little one is doing these little submissive shakes around the big one. After I turn out the main lights, the little guy lunges at the big guy and bites him on the dorsal area!!

My question is this: When is enough, enough? Will they eventually knock it off, or I am in danger that one may kill the other? Help!

Thanks, Capt. Jack

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were originally together at the store months ago. I have had the smaller one for a month. I brought him back to the LFS, and they put the larger one in with him in a small container. They did fine in the close quarters for a few minutes, no aggression at all, so all was good.

UPDATE: This morning they seem to be doing fine. I watched them for about 10 minutes while giving them food. No fighting, and they are both eating. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
it may be pairing behavior... although sounds a bit more aggressive. when the female (larger of the two) decides to pair w/ a male, there is some bumpinng and fin "kissing" that occurs. Yours sounds a bit different, but it may be that.

Other tought would be you having 2 females. Clowns change sex over time from male to female. And in solitude they can change to female. So you may have had 2 fish that were getting along, but once separated the male may have started to become a female. The larger is almost always the female. So it looks like you had a male and maybe it changed to female.

So you may have two females that will never pair.

I hope you have success. I'm trying to add a clown to my tank but i need to wait til my LFS gets the same variety.

You may want to slowly introduce them. If you have a spawning box (mesh box that floats in your actual tank) you could put the new guy in there so the old one can smell him but can't reach him. then slowly introduce them.

Google "pairing clownfish" or something along those lines and you may find some people that have had luck adding a clown to an existing clown.

good luck!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I was glad to see they weren't chewing on each other this morning! I do have to say, from last night's antics, it seems to me the little one was immediately taking on the passive role.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been watching the two of them this evening for quite a while (Between the All-Star Game: GO NL!!). Things are going along "swimmingly". No fighting. The little one is following around the bigger one. I even saw the little one do his little shaking dance again at one point. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it'll work out.

·
Just Cofused :>0
944 Posts
If the aggression continues you can rearrange the tank to add some confusion.
Or return them both for a pair that have been in the same tank together for a while.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. They seem to be doing much better. Not nearly the fighting as before. They were even snuggling up a bit together last night for about a half hour.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts