The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am about to pull my hair out! My new RODI system came in yesterday (yay) and I am trying to figure out how to figure it out. I just want to be able to hook it up to the tap, very simple no automatic top off system or drilling it into the pipes. I faucet adapter came with it and it's the 100 gpd one. My questions are complicated so i'll put them in numerical order.
1) With the Inlet and Pure water outlet does only the water tubing connect to that and out? Do you connect anything to the drain?
2) With the blue (ball valve?) knobs the picture shows them on the top, but it does not explain at all how to install them on the system. How do I install them?

I'll take it from here. The directions only mention rigging the system up to the "saddle" which I guess is the pipe under the sink. Nothing is labeled and there are no pictures to show me what to do..pictures help me A LOT with how to put something together. So if any of you have this system or similar and maybe could send pictures of how to put it together or of what yours looks like that would also help out. Thanks for any advice, and i'm sure i'll have more questions! If you want pictures i'll make some.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You should only have 3 lines hooked up.
1. Water in from water supply with ball valve to your system
2. Drain out from the unit to the drain in your sink of drill directly to your drain pipe
3. RO/DI tube from your unit to your tank or anywhere you want the water to drain to.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The unit is preassembled. The blue valves are extras. You can use one on the output water if you want.

The inlet get connected to the water supply using the faucet adaptor. The pure water out is your RO/DI water to put in the tank. This is the line that you can put a valve on to turn the water on/off. The drain will need to be run to your sink drain with a piece of tubing. Do not put a valve on the drain.

Your system has an auto shutoff. When you close the valve on the pure water line, the drain flow will stop in a few minutes after the cannisters fill.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so only use the blue valve on the outlet drain, and that's if I want to. The auto shut off I can not find. there is one "valve" that can be switched, and it is labeled fast flush. Do I hook anything up to that? it's located at the top attached to a black water line. Thank you so much you guys!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh my gosh...I think it's working:D Man it's like a science experiment in my bathroom! i'll have to take some pictures lol. Thank you so much for you help..I figured out that the fast flush was the out outlet, and I turn the valve to have it come out faster when I need to turn it off. This sure beats having to go to the lfs every 2 weeks..of course that means no new corals:( oh well.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I haven't seen your system, but I believe the fast flush valve is only to flush the exterior of the RO membrane. It works by bypassing the inline metering valve. That's why the water comes out faster. The metering valve causes back pressure on the line to force the water through the membrane. If that valve is open, you will not be making RO water. Any way that you could post a picture of the unit as it's currently installed?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also, with the water drain-out my parents (and me:) ) are amazed at how much water is wasted in order to make good water. Do you usually just let it go to waste, or do you let the drain water go into a big container and use the water for other purposes around the house? Just curious we're trying to figure out if we should just let it go to waste (expensive water bill) or use it for everyday things. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't seen your system, but I believe the fast flush valve is only to flush the exterior of the RO membrane. It works by bypassing the inline metering valve. That's why the water comes out faster. The metering valve causes back pressure on the line to force the water through the membrane. If that valve is open, you will not be making RO water. Any way that you could post a picture of the unit as it's currently installed?
ok i'l post pics..hopefully soon i'm going out to do the trash and grocery store. So the fast flush is not also the drain? I can have it turned off and water still comes out of it. When I turn it on water comes out even faster, i'm assuming it's by-passing all of the filter stuff. When it is shut off water is comming out of the out drain, just not as fast. It's amazing how much water gets wasted!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I know of one couple that use the waste water to do their laundry. I wouldn't use it to water plants or anything. Remember that the waste water contains concentrated chemicals. I always let mine go down the drain behind the washing machine so I can't see how much there is!! :eek:

Yes the fast flush is also the drain. It's the back pressure in the drain line that forces the water through the membrane. The valve bypasses the back pressure device allowing water to flow heavily over the outside of the membrane to clean it.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One other question....when I am done with it and am storing it, does the water stay in the 4 stage holders or do you normally get it out by tilting the system to pour it out?

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
One other question....when I am done with it and am storing it, does the water stay in the 4 stage holders or do you normally get it out by tilting the system to pour it out?
Do you have a laundry room where you could set it up permanently?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well we do have a laundry-room. but I wouldn't be allowed to have it in the room permanently. especially if that involves hooking it up to the water pipe there:D Is there really no way to remove the extra water inbetween usage?..or does it just stay there all the time, and will it hurt the filters if it does?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
yes, you can store it without leaving it hooked up..you just need to put valves on all the lines and close them prior to storage. If you don't and the membrane dries out it will be ruined ;)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh I see ok thanks. so the membranes in the plastic things are supposed to be submersed in water all the time. Thanks...one question though. with the fast flush, even though it has a valve on it, do I need to put another valve after the black valve, or will the one be enough? i am asking because if water can come out of it while it's "closed" as drain water, can't it also come out or evaporate out when not in use? Thanks!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
the mebrane is in the long tube that is mounted to the top of the unit... you need to put a valve on all the tubes to seal it up... yep all three tubes...

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And do I flush it before I seel it or no?..meaning let the valve be parallel with the fast flush so the water comes out faster and then seal it..or don't use the fast flush?..sorry for all the questions!

it's also going to be hard to seal all 3 when it only came with 2 valves....will it be safe until tomorrow when I can get another one?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts