The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tearing down and rebuilding my 100g. Currently there is a blue backdrop (adhesive type) from my fresh water tank. On my current salt water I have a black backdrop so automatically I thought to change my 100g to black backdrop but now I'm wondering what most people do... Any prefs for black or blue? Ideas? Input? (Also, any paints work on acrylic tanks?)

Also, I need to silicone some glass panes in my refugium. I was curious what inert silicone (brand specific) I can use that will be safe in a reef tank.

As always, thanks!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Some people paint, some go with blue or black, but eventually it gets covered in coralline anyway. I just left mine alone and can't see much of it at all now.

can't help with silicon though

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I have nothing on the back of my 100 I like to watch the purple cover it:D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I have thought about putting a black background on my tank! Don't think I want to paint it because my tank is fully stocked and worry about the fumes!

Was going to get a backing for it but our LFS doesn't have anything black! Jenn said to try Pep Boys but we don't have one here! Price you pay for living in "Middle of Nowhere" Montana!;)

Any suggestions or other places I could try if we have such places!:funny:

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
I painted the back of my tank blue....but wish now that I would have done black.....

My tank is glass...so can't help with the acrylic question.

Jodi

·
Registered
822 Posts
Also painted mine blue, makes it look a little more natural to me, like open ocean behind my little reef. However, the blue black ground does make the black overflow stand out more (if i ever get a custom tank, would probaly also get overflow in blue if possible).

·
Registered
86 Posts
I painted mine a special blue blend that I had a friend mix up for me in a paint store. We sampled it from a paper background. Should not be a problem painting acrylic tank, just make sure you give it plentyof time to dry before you starting bumping in to it, since it will peel off when dry to the touch.

DAP makes an Aquarium Silicone seal. My LFS carries it in small tubes and the caulking gun size tubes. It states that it is 100% silicone and is the only thing that is safe for aquariums. I have always used it, but never knew if there was a difference between it and the general stuff. Cost is not that much different, just harder to find.

Ross

·
Registered
479 Posts
Home depot now sells aquarium silicon........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts