The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay two things, one: about a skimmer, and two: about my stock.

Does this skimmer look good for a 20g, or would you not reccomend it?
http://www.aquatraders.com/odysseaps75proteinskimmer-2.aspx

And.

For my stock i'm thinking:
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Amphiron Percula (Or what ever it is)
1x Six-Line Wrasse

Okay when I add them i'm probably going to add them like this:
YWG
1 week passes
Percula
1 week passes
Six-Line

Does that sound good?
And lastly, will I need some kind of cover on my tank for the YWG and the Six-Line?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
don't know much about that skim but the stocking plan looks good and the order of addition looks good too. 6 line last/most agressive of the bunch.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't know much about that skim but the stocking plan looks good and the order of addition looks good too. 6 line last/most agressive of the bunch.
Thats what I thought about the order. :D
Would I be able to add anything else in my tank besides more coral?
I have:
15x Blue Leg Hermits
15x Astrea Snails
2x Peppermint Shrimp
30-40x Brown Polyp Coral

I'm eventually going to have:
More Coral
1x Percula Clown
1x YWG
1x Six-Line Wrasse

Anything else? Like starfish or more fish or anything like that?

And last,
if you guys donts mind telling me (or if you have a site that says it)
what corals I would be able to keep in a 20g long tank w/130w.

·
Physical/Reef therapist
388 Posts
With that lighting you would be able to keep soft corals and mushrooms. Lots of variety of those available you can do some shopping. I don't know if I would add any more fish than what you have already. It has always been my personal choice to try to keep it "more natural" with more space in my tank and less fish and coral per square inch... some people do this, but most would err on the side of more stuff/gallon. I always like the addition of starfish, but with hermit crabs, even the blue legged ones they (if hungry enough) can turn a starfish into a meal. For the skimmer it is a little much for a 20 gallon. If you may upgrade someday I would get it... otherwise I would try to find a skimmer for a smaller tank.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I like bristle stars myself, If you have sand then a good sand sifting cucumber is interesting and beneficial. I like a bristleworm as a detritovore but some people think they will attack fish. Copepods, amphipods gammarus or mysis shrimp are all interesting if a bit hard to see. THese are all lower impact as far as bioload and mostly small. These are all things that I merely suggest you look into as possibilities. it is ultimately your tank! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
but I am of the opinion that you really can't overskim. Skimmer ratings are typically a little on the high side (I run one rated for a 90-135 gallon on my 30 gallon nano). If it won't take up too much room in your tank it is hard to say a skimmer is too much. I am unfamiliar with that skimmer manufacture so I do not know if it is quality or not.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With that lighting you would be able to keep soft corals and mushrooms. Lots of variety of those available you can do some shopping. I don't know if I would add any more fish than what you have already. It has always been my personal choice to try to keep it "more natural" with more space in my tank and less fish and coral per square inch... some people do this, but most would err on the side of more stuff/gallon. I always like the addition of starfish, but with hermit crabs, even the blue legged ones they (if hungry enough) can turn a starfish into a meal. For the skimmer it is a little much for a 20 gallon. If you may upgrade someday I would get it... otherwise I would try to find a skimmer for a smaller tank.
I like bristle stars myself, If you have sand then a good sand sifting cucumber is interesting and beneficial. I like a bristleworm as a detritovore but some people think they will attack fish. Copepods, amphipods gammarus or mysis shrimp are all interesting if a bit hard to see. THese are all lower impact as far as bioload and mostly small. These are all things that I merely suggest you look into as possibilities. it is ultimately your tank! ;)
Okay for the smaller skimmer,
do you think I could find a smaller one that's cheaper?
Cause thats the cheapest skimmer I could find. :/
Thats why I picked it. :D

About the sifting cucumber, is it cheap and does it sift good?
Cause I hate that brownish/purplish algea that grows on my sand.
It's really easy to maintain on my own, but it would be better to have something else to maintain.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
http://www.liveaquaria.com/search/default.cfm shows a few cucumbers, they will expel their organs if scared and that can foul the water if they are not removed. But they sift sand and clear detritus out of the water column. A sand sifting star and to a lesser extent a brittle or serpent star will help stir your sand bed without the risk of expelling venemous innards into the water column. But the cucumber do come in many detritus cleanup crews so they are considered "safe" by most people. But just like anything else just do a little research and see if its something you want to add to your little slice of ocean. Just don't get one that will get too big!

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
With the way the lower priced skimmers tend to over rate the skimmer, that skimmer would probably do about right on a 20. The skimmer for my 12G nano tank is rated - by the manufacturer - to handle a 90 gallon fully stocked tank but it wouldn't handle 5 fish that I had in the 90, so its now my nano skimmer.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
As far as fish go I would add too much more biomass there are some v-small gobies that stay under .75" that would add interest w/out much biomass. Keep it simple, don't over stock, I kept only 4 fish in my 34 and have 7 in my 75.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
The fish you said sound great and in that order,you want something on top because of being jumpers.Never herd of that company of skimmer(but usally you get what you pay for)Cheap price = cheap skimmer,Remora makes a nano skimmer.As with cucumbers,I wouldn't get it.Your tank is to small and it would starve,and if it dies it gives off a poison that will wipe your tank out.As to add any other fish or stuff,maybe a shrimp.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, thanks guys.
Does anyone have a good website that sells good-priced skimmers.
Last, what would I put ontop of the tank to keep the jumpers in?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts